Is It Still Ok To Be Running On Windows XP ?

thats because you and I are perverse buggas jason, we actually set out to make such things possible, hell I've even have windows 2 online and running fine, not quick by definitely working and browsing, remember the old 8ghtz IBM clones (286's), with 126byte memory, they sold them as the greatest machine known to man, and swore that no-one would ever need anything bigger or better
20gb is a luxury, some of the early rigs used 10omb drives, I still have an old ide drive here - 45mb, a common size after that was the 143mb drives, when the 400mb drives came out it was thought you could store the entire global info and have room to spare

hell the rigs they used to send the lunar landing mission on its way only had 200mb drives, the smallest flash drive today is 512mb, more than twice the storage of those old harddrives

geek_skin1235, Jul 8, 2:43 pm

a 64mb sd card in my camera is too small for most of my use today and has been replaced with a 2gb card - the camera cannot handle anything bigger, the old 128mb card had as much storage as the lunar landing computer had after the opsys was installed

where can you find an opsys today that would fit on a 720byte 5 1/4 floppy ( and that was flash tech, they came out as 360byte floppies

geek_skin1235, Jul 8, 2:50 pm

speaking of old tech, do you have a spare socket 7 cpu laying around? the one in my dos rig died

geek_pcmaster, Jul 8, 4:58 pm

I'm sitting here looking at 5 of them right now, will have a look and see what specs they have - have to find a magnifying glass to read them lol

geek_skin1235, Jul 8, 5:10 pm

p111 866/256/133/1.7v

p111 866EB/256/133/1.65V

INTEL O1 1200/256/100/1.5

INTEL PENTIUM w MMX FV80503233
SL27S/2.8V
92' 95

INTEL O1 866/256/133/1.75V

as far as I know they still work

geek_skin1235, Jul 8, 5:19 pm

If you think this you've never actually used Vista

Anyway there is no point in using a machine that can't run 7 these days - the earlyish C2D office machines with 7 COAs are being retired in large numbers and cost very little - huge upgrade from a useless P4 (or earlier)

geek_vtecintegra, Jul 8, 5:24 pm

do you get off on stating the obvious, of course I've not persevered with vista, I've already told you that twice, no score for being too late again, and whats with the snobbery, those old machines are quite capable of running xp and do so with monotonous reliability, I know it doesn't fit your ideal of the entire universe is only 15 yrs old and you rule it, reality is its a lot older, you don't rule it, and it can continue to function quite well without the latest and greatest skite rigs you can buy, enough already, you'll never convince me that xp is too old to run, but you will convince me of other things that are probably not your intent

geek_skin1235, Jul 8, 5:42 pm

jase, last addy I have is jaseo2 , and mailer daemon has kicked it back to me do you still have mine, it hasn't changed since day one

geek_skin1235, Jul 8, 5:45 pm

True. And if anyone out there is still struggling with Netscape 1n on Windows 3.11, it's time to move on.

geek_r.g.nixon, Jul 8, 6:03 pm

lol, lost BB for 5 days last week due to water in one of the roadside boxes somewhere in the district, had to use dialup

now theres some old tech it would have been nice to not have to re-aquaint myself with, no I didn't get that far back to run 3.11 with netscape but it sure brought the memories of those days back - and bulletin boards through half wave modems

geek_skin1235, Jul 8, 6:07 pm

So you're making completely uninformed posts.

geek_vtecintegra, Jul 8, 6:27 pm

where?, all I've said is that win7 appears to the eye as very like xp, the only comments I've made about vista are personal experience with it - which I deliberately avoid as much as i can

geek_skin1235, Jul 8, 6:35 pm

130MB luxury. I remember 10MB hard drives

geek_gsimpson, Jul 8, 6:41 pm

The Apple Lisa had a 5MB HDD, and a rather high pricetag $19,995

geek_r.g.nixon, Jul 8, 7:06 pm

Still got a few working 40mb hdd's here & more of the slightly bigger hdds under 200mb

geek_mrfxit, Jul 8, 7:18 pm

there a 40 lt bin of them out in the shed, and another bin full of 200mb ones - used once in their life as a monthly backup of business data, and when shown some to be useless 6 mths later ( wouldn't spin up) he dumped the lot, several do still spin but as a backup they were not as required

geek_skin1235, Jul 8, 7:43 pm

I remember single floppy no hard drive.

We still have more than half the household still on XP machines here, stable as hell and do the job just fine except for upgrading XBMC which demands Win7 to be able to move up to Kodi. They never get malware or virused for all the reasons they never got them in the past, either.

geek_morticia, Jul 8, 7:51 pm

Not that long ago when I had a 5mb IDE Seagate hdd in working condition.
Even the smallest MFM/RLL I had back then was 10mb

geek_mrfxit, Jul 8, 8:03 pm

geek_vtecintegra, Jul 8, 8:08 pm

yep. i'll email you at some point over the next 24 hours (ie when i can be bothered)

geek_pcmaster, Jul 8, 9:44 pm

i haven't seen one of those for about 13 years

smallest capacity drive i currently have is a 110mb quantum bigfoot 5.25" thing

geek_pcmaster, Jul 8, 9:46 pm

give over lad, obviously you feel it is important that you be right, and that others hear you being right but those posts are stretching a long bow to make the connection
you've already told everyone that running xp is a fools game, and in your opinion they are fools or worse to continue
do you sell upgraded computers on commission perhaps, meanwhile theres plenty even here who still run it - and they are not the fools you called them

geek_skin1235, Jul 8, 11:00 pm

steve, you should have mail

geek_pcmaster, Jul 9, 9:13 am

Steve & Seth.
If you're stuck in limbo, I have both >> @ <<

geek_mrfxit, Jul 9, 9:42 am

is there anything you don't have?

geek_pcmaster, Jul 9, 9:53 am

Dave - this is Jason, ( ex palmy), not Seth (painterman) (wellington) lol

"is there anything you don't have?"

A working memory not effected by age? lol

geek_skin1235, Jul 9, 10:37 am

hahahaha

geek_pcmaster, Jul 9, 11:14 am

Unlikely. Hubby is friend of Dave and he's been to his house a few times. Dave has a large shed out the back full of pc's and parts. The shed is called the Tardis because it's incredible how much stuff is inside and it seems endless once you're in there. Dave suggests dropping bread crumbs to find your way out again but that doesn't work as he's got a hungry dog ! Better take a large ball of string with you and hope Dave doesn't come behind you rolling it up rofl.

geek_nice_lady, Jul 9, 11:55 am

last time I was there the tardis was overflowing into the kitchen, or were they in transit to the tardis perhaps?
he certainly has a bit of kit, and I'll bet he could tell you exactly where the box of mem chips for commodore 286's is, and whats in the box beside it

geek_skin1235, Jul 9, 12:06 pm

next time i'm up that way, i have to check this out!

geek_pcmaster, Jul 9, 12:56 pm

Be wary, be VERY wary rofl. Take a couple of days food with you in case you get lost.

geek_nice_lady, Jul 9, 1:01 pm

Hubby should ask for his account back and then he could talk to us directly. Plenty of others who did much worse on the message boards have been reinstated.

geek_morticia, Jul 9, 1:05 pm

its OK i've heard the stories,. read the stategy guides,. played the video game. ok maybe not that one (hmm theres an idea?) . i've devised my own coping strategies already

what do i win if i actually manage to discover something he doesn't have?

geek_pcmaster, Jul 9, 1:05 pm

+1,000 that "hubby says" thing is getting old

geek_pcmaster, Jul 9, 1:09 pm

My Husband did ask. But it seems that the 12 or so years of helping people didn't count against him getting a little wound up by certain 'troll' types and they said "You have a lifetime ban on posting in the message boards and that's NOT going to change". So he has a trading account but that's all.

geek_nice_lady, Jul 9, 1:34 pm

Maybe someone could start a petition ? (somehow I don't think that'll happen).

:-(

geek_nice_lady, Jul 9, 1:36 pm

Bugger, that's unfortunate especially when so many lifetime bannees have been given back posting rights.

He had more practical knowledge and experience in his little fingers to share here than half the people posting nonsense now have collectively. It was really only his inability to suffer fools gladly and NOT let them know about it that let him down.

geek_morticia, Jul 9, 2:17 pm

unfortunately perry's style could not be hidden in a new account, sooner or later he would be exposed, and some twerp with delusions of ownership of the board or just self importance would take delight in potting him
his advice was always good, and always practicable, he doesn't have a snob bone in him, for gear or people, and while his tolerance of fools was definitely low his tolerance of those who wanted to learn was renown, he'd spend a lot longer explaining something than most here have the patience to do, his step by steps never missed, and always worked
don't go getting a swell head perry but at times you are definitely missed

geek_skin1235, Jul 9, 3:14 pm

y'know I can't even remember who the troll was that got him banned, is that one still around, there were some epic jousts at times

geek_skin1235, Jul 9, 3:17 pm

too much at stake, he may dictate but would be rare for his finger to post here
Nice_Lady puts up with a lot huh, lol ( damn, I used to know her name but for the life of me have forgotten it now)
Hope she never gets a whack for the dictation aspect

geek_skin1235, Jul 9, 3:20 pm

Shut up,

geek_mrfxit, Jul 9, 5:42 pm

D'OH sorry, what was working without complaint, now has a voice thats getting louder.
What had a voice before, has lost some volume
IF only it applied to . her ;-)

geek_mrfxit, Jul 9, 5:45 pm

A coffee AND home made biscuits for afternoon tea.

geek_mrfxit, Jul 9, 5:47 pm

Yea NAH, not seen those 2 for awhile now.
Tag teaming >>>as/ho <<<'s

geek_mrfxit, Jul 9, 5:51 pm

Arrh yes spotted 1 last night still here

geek_mrfxit, Jun 7, 9:01 pm

Share this thread