VDSL and landline - can a splitter be used ?

mandy1968, Mar 19, 4:32am
I think it's a RJ11 fitting to the wall from modem and a NZ plug fitting for the phone
Will a splitter and filter work ok without interfering with the broadband?

mike485, Mar 19, 4:45am
If all else fails ring your phone provider

mandy1968, Mar 19, 4:51am
yes I have done but not much luck other than sending a technician out

mike485, Mar 19, 5:04am
You could try whats the worse case if it does not work.

mandy1968, Mar 19, 5:26am
worse that can happen is wasted $$

spyware, Mar 19, 7:38am
VDSL installs should have master/splitter filter installed, cost is part of the install by Chorus, they install an RJ45 jack for modem.

mm12345, Mar 19, 8:30am
They come without appropriate tools (long drill bits, reasonable cordless drill) so end up borrowing the homeowner's gear, can't find anything in their disgustingly messy van. Then when they talk about positioning the jack, and homeowners says "put it here for now, but after planned renovations I'm going to shift it 3m - that way", they say "no problems - I'll leave you spare cable", but when it comes to shift the access point, they only give you about 2m spare cable instead of 3. True professionals - LOL.

mandy1968, Mar 19, 10:43am
Thanks for that. I am with Spark. they fitted the jack for the modem but nowhere to plug the phone ? Does a master splitter have a point to plug in a NZ phone fitting aswell as the VDSL modem?

mm12345, Mar 19, 11:01am
The old phone socket(s) you had should still work - and you don't need to use a splitter on them any more.

lostdude, May 6, 10:59am
To answer your original question, no a splitter cannot be used. You plug the modem into the socket that was configured for VDSL, and analogue phones into any other phone socket around the house.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)