How to get files off a broken laptop

My laptop got dropped today not very hard but the screen won't work I think the computer is still working though. I have another old latop how can I get the files from one latop to another when I can't get tge screen to work. Any ideas would be helpful as I'm pretty devastated right now.

geek_deacky, Jun 27, 9:19 pm

You can try connecting the laptop to an external monitor or new TV and see if it's actually booting.

Or, get a USB adaptor for the hard disk and plug it into another machine.

As long as the hard disk is still functional you will be able to get the files off.

geek_ianab, Jun 27, 9:27 pm

Simplist = shop tech
Easiest & cheapest if you know how = External 2.5" hdd case + hdd from the busted laptop

geek_mrfxit, Jun 27, 9:28 pm

Anything else = IDIOT

geek_mrfxit, Jun 27, 9:29 pm

2 steps to take, 1stly plug in an external screen, if it all fires up, then copy the files onto an external source. HDD or USB depending on how many files
Secondly, if an external monitor doesn't work, then it's a bit more serious. Get someone to remove the HDD from the laptop and retrofit into an external USB caddy and try it on another computer. If it works, great, copy the files, and if it doesn't, then in all reality the HDD is damaged and you have buckleys chance of getting your files. Yes, possibly they can be forensically recovered, but at a huge cost.

geek_d.snell, Jun 27, 9:32 pm

I wouldn't say just connecting up to an external monitor is stupid - very simple and has a good chance of working.

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 27, 9:40 pm

Sorry yes & true.
Hadn't had a chance to correct that bit.

geek_mrfxit, Jun 27, 9:47 pm

Thanks everyone. I have hooked it up to my tv and it works fine so was just the screen. I am now in the process of removing everything and I guess a new laptop is in order now. I am just so thankful to get my kids photos off. Ironically I had them all have up on a external hard drive which just stopped working a few weeks ago and was terrified that if something happened to the laptop I would lose them all. What's a safe way to back things up. Thanks again for the advice.

geek_deacky, Jun 27, 9:59 pm

with the TV working as a screen you have a complete working system, its just changed to being tied to your tv
use your normal backup system, and get another external - put photos onto a cd as well, so you have a chance to get them again, and can share them around the family too

geek_skin1235, Jun 28, 8:17 pm

Dropbox or Google Photos

geek_mazdasix, Jun 28, 8:27 pm

Best backup is to have several.

External hard drive AND a cloud backup much safer than just one backup.

geek_ianab, Jun 28, 11:14 pm

As long as it's not a MAC or a Touchscreen, a broken LCD Panel can be replace for less than $100 fitted, so factor that in when considering whether to replace it. Also, if you have contents insurance, they may replace the laptop with a new one for the $250 excess.

geek_d.snell, Jun 29, 11:07 am

Windows Live, Sky Drive - the free Microsoft online storage of 15GB of storage - great. Can upload any size file too. Free madam. Make a free Microsoft hotmail account, or Outlook account, I forget what I am using. There is free Microsoft online Document Applications with One Drive too. All at the same place with Microsoft. It was the colours that attracted me. I think.

geek_olack, Jul 10, 10:09 pm

Share this thread