Windows 10 failed to install error 80240020

Up until this morning, no sign of W 10 upgrade notification - 'Almost Ready' advice posted. All other updates done.
This morning at switch-on, the computer stayed on the startup screen with the rotating circle for quite some time before putting up the usual 'Ready to log-on' splash screen - appeared to be downloading something.
Logged on expecting to find 'W 10 ready to install' notification of some kind - but nothing - just usual stuff.
Checked update status and found 'Upgrade to Windows 10 Home, Failed to install on 1/08/2015'.
Checking further found 'This update failed to install on 1/08/2015 at 09:57 with error code 80240020'.
Google tells me that this error is caused by some form of corruption in the 'Software Distribution Download folder or files'!
There are various fixes suggested, which all include deleting all of the Download folder contents and invoking a download startup manually.

The question is: Should I attempt to do this or will the download be repeated automatically at some without any intervention from me - assuming that Microsoft are fully aware of the problem and have some means of dealing with it remotely.

I checked the folder - it has 41 items, totalling 403 MB in it.

Cheers.

geek_tmenz, Aug 2, 11:12 am

Incomplete download i would say, give it a while and click on windows icon and when ready it will tell you and ask if you want to install.

geek_wayne416, Aug 2, 11:17 am

OK: 'Standing Very By. '

geek_tmenz, Aug 2, 11:24 am

geek_wayne416, Aug 2, 11:27 am

Went to the media creation site - downloaded media creation tool - invoked "Upgrade this PC" and got a 'Something Happened' error straight away!
Several attempts gave the same error each time!
Instead downloaded to USB drive and then to an ISO file which was burned onto DVD successfully after a couple of false starts!
So I now have a USB copy and a DVD copy.
I take it that these will both do a 'clean install' rather than an 'upgrade' so I will have to go through the bothersome process of saving everything and reinstalling it afterwards - is this correct?

geek_tmenz, Aug 2, 11:24 pm

You can't do a clean install unless you buy a licence - to get the free update you need to actually upgrade an existing, activated Windows install

geek_vtecintegra, Aug 2, 11:31 pm

Just finished upgrading a Sony I3 notebook from windows 7. Had a similar problem with the win10 upgrade. Kept failing with an error. Tried deleting the softwaredistribution download, and forced restar of upgrade process. System failed again, so I used the ISO I had downloaded with the media creation tool form my Asus notebook. Used Daemon Tools and burnt the ISO files onto a USB stick. Put the memory stick in the Sony and ran setup and it updated to win10 with no further issues. One thing of interest, the Starter Versions of Word and Excel still work fine. I was expecting these to be canned as the won't install on 8 or 8.1, so I assumed, wrongly, that 10 would be the same.

geek_d.snell, Aug 2, 11:35 pm

I've got Office Starter installed on my Win 8 PC. No problem.

geek_r.g.nixon, Aug 3, 7:49 am

So if you did a fresh install you couldn't use your 8.1 product key?

geek_fishb8, Aug 3, 8:03 am

I am under the impression that, Yes, you can use your W 8.1 product key as it tells you to make a note of this when creating the ISO media!

geek_tmenz, Aug 3, 8:33 am

I used the media creation tool to create USB installation media then ran setup directly from the USB. By this I mean I opened up the USB drive within windows explorer and ran it, I did not boot from the USB drive for a fresh install. This upgraded my 8.1 to 10 with no further issues. I did not need a key.

geek_stevexc, Aug 3, 8:58 am

Just looked at product key for W10 and it's different to my 8.1.
If I wanted to do a clean / fresh install, I'd need to use my new product key?

geek_fishb8, Aug 3, 11:23 am

My Win 8 or 8.1 Machine didn't have a key. All it had was the small brown win 8 logo on the back. I'm sure this is the normal nowdays, because the authentication is stored in the BIOS of the notebook. It's only older win 7 machines that will cause problems or machines that have been "played" with.

geek_d.snell, Aug 3, 11:44 am

Finally! I have Windows 10 installed.
Today I invoked the 'Media Creation tool', 'Update this PC' option and it successfully downloaded/verified all of the files and Updates.
It then started the installation which went through OK past the first restart until it got to Copying files 15%, Overall 4% and crashed out back to Win 8.1 with the error message: 'The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during APPLY_IMAGE operation.' 0xC1900101 - 0x2000C
Tried it all again (Another long wait) and it failed again with the same message!
Google information on the problem was inconclusive as to a definitive fix, but one hint seemed to be to update graphics drivers to Win 10 compatible versions. (NVidia specifically mentioned.)
My PC has Intel 4600 graphics but I thought it worthwhile to try updating the driver and see if that made a difference! Was 10.18.10.3540, now 10.18.15.4256
Started the update download all over again and this time it all went through seamlessly!
Thanks to Wayne and others for your help, hints and advice.

geek_tmenz, Aug 3, 3:34 pm

Bet you did have a product key - just couldn't see it.
Download magic jelly bnean and it will show you your product key.

geek_fishb8, Aug 3, 3:50 pm

geek_d.snell, Apr 3, 11:17 pm

Share this thread