Re-Sizing Photos for Website

I am trying to resize a photo for a website banner. I am using JPEG's. No matter what photo I use, when I resize it to 950 pixels wide and 114 pixels high it is distorted. Do you have any idea how I can fix this? Perhaps I need to take a photo in a particular format? If you know of a miracle fix I'd be super grateful!

geek_carter441, Apr 19, 7:00 pm

Of course it's going to distort when you resize it. Think of it like squishing a painting down to 1/4 of the size - it's going to look weird. You can't just change the dimensions of an image and expect it to look normal.

You need to either find a program that will resize while preserving the aspect ratio (which will result in cropping), or download GIMP, open a 950x114 canvas, and insert your image onto that canvas. Again, you're probably going to have to crop the image at least slightly, depending on its original size.

geek_suicidemonkey, Apr 19, 8:45 pm

Thanks. You have mentioned GIMP before. Am I going to need a degree before being able to use GIMP?!

p,s that http://picresize.com/ website is great - thanks very much.

geek_carter441, Apr 19, 8:49 pm

You image won't distort if you keep the width to height ratio the same.

geek_r.g.nixon, Apr 19, 9:32 pm

Yep as nixon said, if you keep the ratio the same it won't distort.

GIMP does require a bit of effort to get to know, but totally worth it once you've got it. Plenty of tutorials online though.

geek_suicidemonkey, Apr 19, 10:26 pm

irfanview is another one, not in the same league as GIMP but can cut, crop, resize etc and a bit easier to get a handle on.

http://www.irfanview.com/

As has been mentioned the key is in keeping the aspect ratio which will normally necessitate some cropping from the top/bottom for a banner

geek_king1, Apr 19, 10:58 pm

I am trying to upload an image to a website template. They have stipulated that the image be: 950 pixels wide and 114 pixels high - therefore I can't keep the ratio the same.

geek_carter441, Apr 19, 11:29 pm

Yes you can. You'll just need to zoom/crop the image to keep the ratio the same. Basically zoom into the image until it fits the 950x114 pixel criteria.

Otherwise if you want to keep the entire image in the frame, you'll have to squish it which will distort it.

geek_suicidemonkey, Apr 19, 11:35 pm

geek_king1, Apr 19, 11:35 pm

As an example, here's an image I just made:

http://tinyurl.com/lsbmg75

The top image has been resized to fit the required dimensions (950x114).

The bottom image has been cropped to fit the dimensions.

Hope that makes sense now.

geek_suicidemonkey, Apr 19, 11:41 pm

Nice explanation - is that car parked up your driveway?

geek_king1, Apr 19, 11:43 pm

I wish :P

geek_suicidemonkey, Apr 19, 11:44 pm

And a hella lot easier than photoshop

geek_newbie5, Apr 20, 3:42 pm

The word you need to add to your vocab is "scale".
Crop the part of the image you want to keep to get the aspect ratio, size at this stage is irrelevant. Then scale image ( if giving Gimp a go don't confuse with scale layer with scale image) to the required 950x114.

geek_ross1970, Apr 20, 3:53 pm

That's not a call I'd make - and I've used Gimp regularly since the 1990s.

geek_mm12345, Apr 20, 5:15 pm

I'd have to disagree. I find Photoshop much more user friendly than GIMP. The only upside to GIMP is the price.

geek_suicidemonkey, Apr 20, 5:19 pm

Phatch is great and you can resize a whole folder at a time.

geek_gsimpson, Jan 31, 11:16 am

Share this thread