Windows 10 - My upgrade/update experience.

So, just installing Windows 10 on my car lappy. Its an older Acer Aspire One netbook that came with Vista, subsequently had a free upgrade to win 7 (being due out in the next few months after purchase), and now again to Windows 10.

swapped over to a SSD a year or so ago thinking it would help speed it up. Unfortunately didn't make much difference, I suspect due to cpu limitations. So I'm keen to see if 10 makes any difference.

Only issue I had was error about no CPU support for 'NX', which after a bit of research turns out support was there just not implemented in BIOS. Updated bios and installation is progressing.

E: never did get the win 10 upgrade icon in the task bar, presumably because of the NX problem

geek_king1, Jul 31, 9:50 pm

So how did the install go? Keen to upgrade an old machine I have here (athlon x2) but cbf if it's going to cause more trouble than it's worth lol.

Upgraded a few test machines here at work and they're working flawlessly atm, although they're all 4th gen i5s so I didn't expect any real problems ITFP. Software-wise, the only concern I had was with sophos endpoint security but that turned out to be a red herring as nothing broke. Quite impressed with the whole experience really.

geek_lostdude, Aug 1, 1:15 pm

all went fairly smooth, does seem to be a bit sluggish still.

Maybe an issue with trim on the ssd since windows fsutil tells me its enabled, but hdsentinel tells me it is available but not enabled. looking into that.

geek_king1, Aug 1, 2:49 pm

Give it time, the one i did the other night was slow yesterday but got its act together last night apparently.

geek_wayne416, Apr 14, 10:29 am

Share this thread