Display adapter from PC to TV . Help!

Tech savvy peeps . I need some help please!
I've just installed a display adapter from my PC to my TV. I have them set as screen 1 & screen 2, but when I play a movie on the PC I only get sound through the TV - No visuals.
What have I missed?

geek_misstbag, May 12, 4:58 pm

Just a guess. your TV can't handle that resolution?

geek_r.g.nixon, May 12, 5:34 pm

Under later windows versions, there is no need to, as you put it, "install a display adapter". Simply connect the HDMI cable, then, assuming a laptop, use the function key and F5 to switch the display. Of course, after setting the TV's input to HDMI.

geek_bwg11, May 12, 7:50 pm

I have Windows 8.1 on a HP Pavilion all in one. It has no HDMI port so the adapter is needed so I can connect through a USB port.
And a Samsung TV. Both are less than 2 years old.

geek_misstbag, May 12, 8:37 pm

Sorry, no experience of USB to HDMI adapters.

geek_bwg11, May 12, 8:43 pm

Check the specifications. Some only do 1600x1200 and 1680x1050. Some only do 720x480.

geek_r.g.nixon, May 12, 9:53 pm

USB to HDMI adapters do not usually do overlay, which is required for playing a video clip or movie.

geek_1bravo, May 12, 10:53 pm

Assuming your 2 year old Samsung is a "smart" TV with WiFi, and is on your home network. Why not dispense with the adapter and stream directly (via WiFi) from Windows Media Player? I use Windows 7, have sharing and streaming enabled on Media player, I simply right-click the video file then "play to" then "Bravia" appears. Left-click "Bravia" and the file is streamed to the TV. No need to select any inputs for the TV, it just happens. I assume Media Player in Windows 8.1 has the same functionality.

geek_bwg11, Nov 29, 4:13 am

Share this thread