Broadband on XP

On my old computer running XP I have it plugged into my router, it shows the icon for the internet connection, and shows as connected when I click on that icon. However, when I want to bring up any webpage I get a cannot connect message. Clicking on the message says that there is a DNS problem.

Is there any way I can sort this myself? Thanks.

geek_budgel, Jun 5, 6:03 pm

geek_r.g.nixon, Jun 5, 6:05 pm

Thanks, but it made no difference.

geek_budgel, Jun 5, 7:41 pm

Check in your network setting.

The IP address and DNS and should be set to "Automatic". If it's not, and the settings are manually set to something that doesn't match your router, then you get that result.

geek_ianab, Jun 5, 7:45 pm

in XP go to control panel, network connections, right click on the network connection, left click on repair connection ( not sure if there maybe another page in there now but repair connection is what you are looking for

geek_skin1235, Jun 5, 8:00 pm

Yes try that, I think you get the repair option from clicking on the computer icon, (right or left click)

geek_zak410, Jun 5, 8:05 pm

Thanks, that didnt work either.
It looks like I will have to wait on the end of the phone for ages and get my ISP helpline.

geek_budgel, Jun 5, 11:03 pm

Change your network TCP/IP settings to use either the Google or Open DNS addresses. www.howtogeek.com/164981/how-to-switch-to-opendns-or-google-dns-to-speed-up-web-browsing/

geek_r.g.nixon, Jun 5, 11:05 pm

Was that computer last on dailup or BB

XP normally simply connects to the net through a router just fine.
Onboard or Network card drivers might need reinstalling.
Onboard or card connection not enabled.

geek_mrfxit, Sep 14, 5:17 pm

Share this thread