Is this good or bad

geek_farminglad, Jun 28, 5:40 pm

1.31 mbps is bad
1.31 MBps is good

geek_temudjin, Jun 28, 5:47 pm

You should test from speedtest.net - and post the speed in megabits/second

geek_r.g.nixon, Jun 28, 5:49 pm

Thanks
Just did a speed test it come up as 1.31Mbps for download and .31 Mbps upload speed , can you please explain this for me

geek_farminglad, Jun 28, 5:52 pm

It's slow.

geek_mazdasix, Jun 28, 5:52 pm

Thats where I tested it

geek_farminglad, Jun 28, 5:53 pm

Very slow. If you're on wifi, it may be a poor connection. Try standing right next to the router; or better yet, use an ethernet cable.

geek_r.g.nixon, Jun 28, 5:54 pm

Slow, Compared to what? Could also be using the mobile 2G network , so not enough information supplied by the OP to give a informed opinion.

geek_d.snell, Jun 28, 6:49 pm

does it matter what its compared to? slow is slow

geek_mazdasix, Jun 28, 6:58 pm

Compared to dial-up it's fast ;-)

Compared to any sort of broadband, it's crap. Even basic ADSL should be more like 5 mbps with ADSL2 / VDSL / Fibre being even better.

Question is. Is the problem with the OP's line or equipment? Do some tests at different time of the day. If you get 5 mbps early in the morning, then 1.3 in the evening, then it's probably congestion at the local exchange. Too many simultaneous users for the capacity into your exchange and you have to wait for Chorus to fix that with more / faster circuits.

If it's slow all the time, or weather dependant, then it's likely a problem with the line / router / wifi that you can do something about.

geek_ianab, Jun 28, 11:26 pm

I found with my wifi that even though my machine was showing signal the speed rapidly drops off with distance from the router

geek_piperguy, Jun 29, 8:57 am

are you with spark by any chance ?

geek_black-heart, Jul 13, 3:15 pm

Share this thread