Vista installation affected by trial of Windows 10

Hi, will the Vista installation in this second hand PC I bought be affected by trial of Windows 10 the previous owner installed? He did not tell me this before I bought the PC and told me when he delivered it. I am wondering if any of the OEM hardware replacement terms are affected after a Windows 10 trial and then a revert to Vista. By terms, I am referring to the number of hardware changes a computer can undergo before the OEM licence is deemed expired.

geek_olack, Jun 27, 4:13 pm

I'm sure MS will reinstate the licence if you strike a problem with it.

geek_r.g.nixon, Jun 27, 5:20 pm

Is a hardware change of 6 hardware components the OEM rule before the licence expires for Vista?

geek_olack, Jun 27, 5:58 pm

I realize a hardware could have been made already but I suspect no changes have been made to this computer. Also wondering if a hardware change while the PC is in Windows 10 mode will affect the OEM conditions. I suppose a change would affect the licence conditions.

geek_olack, Jun 27, 6:17 pm

If you have the COA with an OEM Vista Key, you can change anything you like provided you don't change the OEM Brand. If it fails to authenticate over the Internet, all you need to do is use the automated phone system.
Also, depending on how the Win10 was installed, you may be able to remove the Tech Preview and revert back to the old o/s which would be Vista. If not, then use an Install Disk for the same Vista version as the COA and use the key off there to authenticate.

geek_d.snell, Jul 18, 10:26 am

Share this thread