Was she genuine?

Just had a phone call from some foreign female with a poor grasp of the English language.
Reckon she was calling from Microsoft security and that they had been getting a lot of blah blah reports (I wasn't really taking much notice) from my computer. She Knew my name, address, phone number and so she said, my computer licence number. Gave me her employment ID number and then wanted me to check if the licence number on my computer was the same as the one she gave me. "Press keyboard button next to Ctrl and r, now enter the number I gave you" I had my doubts from the start but not being too sure now, so gave her my thoughts and a bit of Kiwi advice also a bit about her heritage and told her not to call back. Said she would keep phoning me. So far, nothing.

geek_bowla3, Jul 30, 6:21 pm

Of course it's not genuine.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jul 30, 6:41 pm

Thanks.
Found my real lic. number. Nothing like the one she wanted me to enter.

geek_bowla3, Jul 30, 7:04 pm

They also pretend to be Spark sometimes. Just hang up or tell em you have a Apple computer lol

http://www.consumeraffairs.govt.nz/scam-news/scam-alert-41

geek_rz_zone, Jul 30, 7:13 pm

Microsoft NEVER, NEVER, NEVER phones end users.

geek_r.g.nixon, Jul 30, 7:26 pm

Interesting them knowing address.

geek_wayne416, Jul 30, 8:02 pm

geek_r.g.nixon, Jul 30, 8:21 pm

Next time she comes back try ordering a curry. They love that. Also ask for their credit card number.

geek_namtak, Jul 30, 11:32 pm

lol, luvit :D

geek_bayloft, Jul 30, 11:38 pm

Known a lot of people had same call going back a few years and never heard them say they knew their name or address, a big giveaway for most if they did.

geek_wayne416, Jul 30, 11:42 pm

my calls were apparently from melbourne, not for a year or more now tho
(they tempted me to get a whistle, as not too quick or clever with the retorts - I think the best I managed was "GO AWAY" and hung up)

(second thoughts, perhaps I wasn't quite so polite with my language ;)

geek_bayloft, Jul 30, 11:45 pm

geek_king1, Jul 30, 11:46 pm

If you got time on your hands lead them on then tell them you've got an Apple.

geek_wayne416, Jul 30, 11:51 pm

And what is a computer license number? The only "license" you have is the COA for your operating system.
And who is MS Security? Think now, since when did a large corporation care about individual PCs anywhere in the world?

geek_lythande1, 5 days, 2 hours

Share this thread