What are Google requesting from me 1,019 times?

Well, if you are using Chrome, they grab more - including any audio your computer's microphone can hear, such as your private conversations. www.privateinternetaccess.com/blog/2015/06/google-chrome-listening-in-to-your-room-shows-the-importance-of-privacy-defense-in-depth/

geek_r.g.nixon, Jun 23, 10:40 am

what are Google requesting from me 1,019 times?

or what is the webpage or pages you are on requesting from google servers?

First guess, dns. dns prefetching. ?

geek_ross1970, Jun 23, 12:20 pm

dns prefetching is stupid. oh the DNS servers got latency? I know lets give everyone a browser that request more DNS resolutions.

That should fix it.
If your driving on the beach and the wheels are spinning, give it more gas.

geek_black-heart, Jun 23, 2:36 pm

You're missing the point. It's not just about eliminating time to do dns resolution, it's the first step needed to then eliminate subsequent network time before the actual user interaction. Predict needed resources and pre-resolve the dns for the resource, the browser can then setup the tcp connections before any request is made. Chrome already does this. Then seeing as how the tcp connection is there for the as yet unrequested resources, the browser can then prefetch the resource if it scores high enough in its prediction calculations. The end game is browsers having whole pages already rendered in hidden tabs waiting, so when you click the link on a page it predicted you would, there's zero network delay, only a tab repaint. No dns time, no tcp/ssl time, no server response latency, no download time, All starts at the beginning tho - pre-resolving dns. Just like Google search algorithms, I'd say there's some pretty accurate prediction algorithms for Chrome.

geek_ross1970, Jun 23, 11:16 pm

yes its the first step, followed by more wasted data requests to servers. Must make the owners of popular websites cringe when 100,000s or more users with these browsers smash their sites.

geek_black-heart, Jun 24, 8:47 am

How is it wasted? You think the algorithms browsers use to determine what to prefetch wouldn't be pretty refined? What difference does it make to a site if stuff is prefetched by a small time margin in advance of the user requesting it or not? It's was probably still going to be requested anyway. And if the initial prefetch was off the mark and the resource is cached, it just ups the chance of it still being used the longer the user stays on the site. And users stay on sites longer when pages load quickly. Exactly what web owners want. So you have a site and you know browsers are trying to give your sites customers the quickest possible page loads thereby making them engage with your site more. is this where you start cringing?

geek_ross1970, Jun 24, 9:27 am

I'm guessing you're looking at a website thats constantly looking for you location data.

because the request is being blocked, rather than you saying no i dont want to share, it keeps asking

geek_directorylist, Jun 24, 5:17 pm

+1. As soon as I saw the map, that's exactly what I thought.

geek_lostdude, Jun 24, 10:35 pm

it's wasted because they are prefetching links that will probably not be clicked. It varies massively on the sites I guess. Just look at how many links are on a trademe page, now say theres 20 thousand users prefetching those links.

geek_black-heart, Jul 26, 4:00 am

Share this thread