Still thinking of a simple way to use a digital TV

decoders internal input amplifier to feed into a broad band amp with a bandwidth of, say, 1 GHtz + whose output I can then use to drive a dipole aerial that will saturate the house with ALL the freeview channels thus enabling all tv's (each with their own aerial) in the house to be totally independent of any other, ( ie. if you have 6 tv's in the house then 6 people could watch 6 different channels). There must be a way in this day and age of just using the front end of a decoder ( with luck ! ), then amplifying the signal to drive a dipole sufficiently to cover the house footprint.
P.S. In the process I don't want to break the bank.
Any thoughts or guidance most welcome.

geek_rojill, Mar 11, 11:25 pm

So 6 TVs, one aerial . what is wrong with a simple splitter. you seem to be over complicating things a whole lot unless I've missed something.

geek_galex, Mar 12, 12:03 am

Want to eliminate all cables + installation costs and put savings towards a wireless system. Also feeding six TV's via cable from a single aerial would need an amplifier = cost

geek_rojill, Mar 12, 12:16 am

I take it you are referring to Freeview Satellite and not terrestrial?

geek_lucky.gadgets, Mar 12, 6:23 am

Either or both. Thanks

geek_rojill, Mar 12, 11:04 am

If you are just re-broadcasting the Freeview signal, then wouldn't you still need a decoder on each TV? For Terrestrial, then you have no benefit.

For Satellite, then you would need a DVB-S receiver, some kind of down-converter, and then an amplifier and transmitter - still with a DVB-T receiver on each TV.

For old analogue TVs, then you would essentially need a DVB receiver and separate transmitter for each channel you wanted to broadcast (you probably could use one aerial though).

Why not just do what everyone else does, hook a sender up to the box, then just watch that channel on a remote TV? You do sometimes see Motel type distribution systems on TM, you could try one of those if you want to get fancier.

I think you might be confusing the digital signal with some kind of mixed together analogue signal. (I am not an engineer in any form though).

geek_emmerson1, Mar 12, 10:20 pm

geek_emmerson1, Mar 12, 10:29 pm

Composite video, how does this relate to DVB-T signals?

geek_spyware, Mar 13, 9:01 pm

emmerson1 wrote:
If you are just re-broadcasting the Freeview signal, then wouldn't you still need a decoder on each TV? For Terrestrial, then you have no benefit.

No, because each tv has its own freeview decoder built in. My thinking is to saturate the house with a boosted Freeview terrestial signal and use a penny aerial on each set.

geek_rojill, Mar 13, 10:19 pm

If you plan on using the built in freeview decoders in the tv sets, you'll need to be re-broadcasting at the same frequencies that the Freeview NZ use on their transmitters. Which is illegal BTW as you won't have the license to use such frequencies for good reason as it will be interfering with other Freeview users in your area.

You know you can buy small indoor amplified antennas to boost your signal, you'd need one for each tv, about the size of a block of chocolate, no ugly antennas sticking out. I use one, cost me about $30 from noel leeming.

geek_lucky.gadgets, Mar 14, 1:09 am

That is so expensive - you can do it much cheaper now.

geek_ryanm2, Mar 14, 6:19 am

Why dont you just get a DDA (digital distribution amp) , mount it in the roof space.

http://matchmaster.co.nz/domestic/amplifiers/10mm-dda28

we use either the 8 or 4 way for all new builds.

geek_ryanm2, May 25, 9:21 am

Share this thread