Modem router for Spark Fibre

Hi all,

Please recommend a decent router for Spark fibre.

The Huawei Hg630b never really gelled with us.

I'm reluctant to go and buy one off the shelf, as I don't know which models support VLAN tagging or not.

Also require gigabit ethernet.

Any ideas for models that are known to work?

geek_pandai, Jun 18, 3:36 pm

Spark can supply the Huawei HG659b. 5GHz AC Wifi and Gig Ethernet. Really need more info from you where the HG630 was falling short to make a proper recommendation.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Jun 18, 3:58 pm

The others have complained the wifi was too slow ever since we got that router last year, it has always been fine on my macbook air, but I figured that was because it supports a/b/g/n/ac wireless, or because I simply sit in the right spot all the time.

We have about 20+ devices at home which are regularly using the internet, maybe it got a bit overwhelmed.

My preference would be for an Apple time capsule but I don't think that is compatible with spark fibre.

geek_pandai, Jun 18, 4:25 pm

We have the 659b it works really well in our business 12 PC's and 30+ wireless devices on Spark Fibre

geek_jon9, Jun 18, 4:43 pm

Just buy one and plug it into the Huawei. Time Capsules are just a router, no modem inside for ADSL, VDSL or Fibre

I bought a Linksys WRT1900AC and did this. The Huawei was terrible and couldn't even handle AirPlay music over it's wifi. It couldn't handle 2 Apple TVs and a Laptop at all.

geek_cawilks, Jun 18, 5:32 pm

Why not simply buy an access point like a Ubiquiti Unifi, i.e.,

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap/

And your current toy router can continue to route, just turn its wireless off.

geek_spyware, Jun 18, 7:13 pm

Unifi gear is only 2.4GHz until you get to the Pro $$$. WRT1900AC is a good router, I'm about the sell mine in favour of a FritzBox 7490, not that I was having any issues with the 1900AC. Plugging into the current router doesn't solve the want for a built in gigabit switch. I'd buy the HG695b.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Jun 18, 7:34 pm

Turn off the wireless on the Huawei and use a apple AirPort Extreme for your wireless, just plug the extreme into the Huawei which will do the VLan tagging and the the AirPort Extreme will do all the wireless a,b,g,n and ac
wireless to ac devices plus it's dual band and has gigabit lan ports

geek_sred69, Jun 18, 8:33 pm

Sorted, nearly. Changed to the 200/20 Fibre plan with Spark - they supply Hg659b routers with that plan as the Hg630b is not fast enough.

Will be nice to have AC wireless as one of the girls got a 15" rMBP last week, so now more of the computers compatible with that.

geek_pandai, Jun 22, 2:32 pm

The wifi on our Fritzbox 7460 is weaker than our Orcon router was.

geek_r.g.nixon, Jun 22, 3:20 pm

It's fine in my house, router is pretty central and only 100m2.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Jun 22, 4:02 pm

I have Fibre and have been using the Netgear R7000 Nighthawk. Seems fast but more importantly for me is has amazing range including through 30cm thick concrete.

geek_mark.woods, Jul 30, 9:02 pm

Share this thread