Question re; photos on a stick

Good morning all. I have a presentation this evening and require assistance regarding photos/images I would like to put on a 8gb plug in stick. I believe the stick will be put into a lap top and play the images through to a electronic screen of some sort.

Question; Do the images have to be a particular size, my images vary from small 157kb (black and white newspaper clippings) to about 600kb (old black and white or sepia photos). These photos are already in my lap top photo collection.

Will they show up on a screen ok.

Thanks

geek_wenpen, May 28, 11:48 am

No, there is not size requirement, however the picture resolution is usually proportional to file size. Those files sizes are small, if the screen is large, they might not appear as clear as they are on you computer monitor, when enlarged,

How they show up also depends on the type of image file they are bmp. jpeg tiff etc, common files types should work on all machines and all software, but if any of the photos are in some obscure file formant, you may want to convert them to jpeg or bmp to be sure they will be able to be opened on the lap top you are using.

geek_cafc2012, May 28, 12:17 pm

Thanks for that cafc.
All photos are the jpeg format.
I am worried the images may be to small in size however I will press on with it all now.
Thanks again.

geek_wenpen, May 28, 2:00 pm

Yes, if your images are smaller than the projector's native size they will be shown smaller.
You should attempt to find out what the projector's native size is and resize your images to those dimensions. Projectors will scale down images that are bigger than native, but few if any will enlarge to fit the screen.
Native sizes are measured in pixels, common sizes are 600 x 800 and 1024 x 768 (both older sizes), and a variety of more modern sizes like 1280 x 800 and 1920 x 1080. More confusingly, the shape, or aspect ratio of the projected image varies from 3:4 to 1:1.5 to several wide-screen formats, a common one is 16:9 or 16:10, and television sizes like 1080p.
You need to research this before the show. And check whether the computer used has a program that can show a sequence of slides under manual control. Either an Apple or a PC will show your jpgs, but the programs to show them differ, and Ideally you would like to know if the computer operator is experienced at doing this sort of show. I've seen shows practically ruined by clueless operators.
Edit: Image size in kilobytes or megabytes is not a good measure of how they will project.

geek_cjdnzl, May 28, 2:37 pm

Thanks cjdnzl.
I was just coming back to ask weather I should make the images larger in size. I have saved them to a stick and run through them all, but they do look small,,,yikes!

Will try and find out more re the format of the projector system.

geek_wenpen, May 28, 2:41 pm

Ok just looking at the sizes of the images the smaller images are the old black and white news paper clippings. They are around 145kb in size and have dimensions of 680x637.
145kb dimensions 637x768.
127kb dimensions 569x668
Will these be ok or should I attempt to enlarge the dimensions or pixels.

The new modem images that are 1,4mb have dimensions of 2121x2910 there about.

geek_wenpen, May 28, 2:48 pm

Good. Even the projector model will do, you can google the machine specs to get the dimensions.
Are you able to resize an image in software? and where is your show going to take place? I am in Palmy as well.

geek_cjdnzl, May 28, 2:49 pm

Will most likely be an older operating system, image projector. It's with the Genealogy Society, everything about them is . Old! lol

geek_wenpen, May 28, 2:50 pm

I will do a quick run through before my half an hour presentation, if things are looking bad I will abort the images and revert to my old framed photos.

Help is appreciated thanks.

geek_wenpen, May 28, 2:52 pm

I'm in Palmerston North also, it's tonight a 7.30pm

geek_wenpen, May 28, 2:54 pm

I wouldn't bother enlarging them. 569x668 will fill most of a 800x600 projector screen.

geek_r.g.nixon, May 28, 4:16 pm

Photos looked great all set up with time to spare, ran through the photos, everything going nicely. Then ten minutes before I was on the projector shat it's pants and wouldn't work. Very disappointed that I had everything prepared and organised to plan and their equipment let me down. 34 photos could not accompany my research and presentation. Christ, what can you do except take your own gear with you to these things. Ho hum.
Thanks for you help today guys, at least I know I got my end right.

geek_wenpen, May 29, 12:19 am

LOL! thanks for letting us know how it went.

geek_cafc2012, May 29, 11:27 am

Oh, sorry to hear that Wenpen. As a photographer and camera club member, I can say that most photographers do have their own laptop and projector and use them on guest presentations, for the very reasons you found out to your cost. Projectors aren't too expensive these days if one regularly does these shows, and there are other advantages to having your own. You will know what the image dimensions are and hence how big to resize your images, you know how bright your machine is, your laptop/projector combination can and should be colour-calibrated to show accurate colour, you will know any foibles the gear may have. You will have the correct cables and adaptors, and any sound equipment needed.
I have seen lectures completely aborted because the presenter brought their own Apple Mac laptop without the necessary cables and adapters to fit the projector provided. Most lower-end projectors are configured for PC computers, using either 15-pin VGA or DVI connections. Better machines may also have HDMI and composite video.
Commiserations, you did your best.

geek_cjdnzl, May 29, 12:25 pm

Thanks cjdnzl. You have given me some great advice. I think I will invest in a projector, at the end of the day you have to row your own boat. lol.
I do a lot of genealogy these days and there is a family reunion in the next year or two so I think investing in a projector will be handy.

geek_wenpen, May 29, 7:05 pm

geek_wenpen, May 29, 7:45 pm

Yes, good idea, Wendy. As a brief guide at this point, an image dimension of 1024 x 768 should be absolute minimum for good screen quality, and an ANSI brightness level of 3000 minimum, 2,800 absolute bottom.
Beware of some projector specs that say they can show 1024 x 768, but their native dimension is only 800 x 600.
When you have acquired a projector, ideally you should get it hardware calibrated, an exercise that needs special equipment to do, but it pays off in image quality. If I can be of any help we will have to figure out a way to communicate direct. Over to you.

geek_cjdnzl, May 29, 8:06 pm

make sure the projector fan is relatively quiet. nothing is more ridiculous than a presentation drowned out by a noisy fan (sometimes from the laptop too).

geek_gibler, May 30, 12:24 pm

Oh, somehow I overlooked this link to a possible projector. I looked at a few reviews in Google, and there seemed to be no scary ones, so at a buy now of $260 It's worth a gamble. You could ask the vendor about lamp life, most lamps have a life of about 2,000 running hours, and replacements are typically $400-odd, so you need to know how much life is left in the lamp - before you buy it!
Otherwise, XVGA - 1024 x 768 - is the lowest resolution I would entertain, but it is adequate for normal slide shows, and the brightness is very adequate, but needed in rooms that aren't too dark. It's amazing where some people want you to show slides, in rooms that can't be darkened. I guess they think it's like a TV. Good luck there.

geek_cjdnzl, Oct 4, 3:24 pm

Share this thread