Smart phone question.

I am wanting a smart phone, and a first time buyer. I want a big enough screen size without being to big to hold. Opinions are welcome. Windows versus android? And I don't want to pay a lot for one.

geek_yuuhoo, Jun 15, 12:45 pm

You'll have to decide what size works for yourself.

Also you'll need to properly define your price range and what you want to use the phone for.

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 15, 1:02 pm

I have a company supplied android Samsung, I hate it with a passion. I am close to putting the hammer through it and buying an iPhone.

All the apple haters in the world out there, but it works, and it works well.
thats all i would go for when buying again.

Android is no where near the hype people make it out to be.

geek_shall, Jun 15, 1:33 pm

There is a big difference between the versions of Android that the various OEMs use.

Anyway if you don't want to pay 'a lot' then iPhones are probably completely out.

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 15, 1:34 pm

It was the OP that didn't want to spend a lot.

geek_jon9, Jun 15, 1:48 pm

Does anyone know what the nokia lumia phones are like?

geek_yuuhoo, Jun 15, 1:53 pm

crap.

geek_velenski, Jun 15, 2:02 pm

Do you have any suggestions velenski?

geek_yuuhoo, Jun 15, 2:06 pm

I had one, windows operating system, seemed like a good idea at the time and it did have a few good things about it but overall wasn't so great.

geek_russ18, Jun 15, 2:09 pm

Thats like saying "cars are no where near the hype people make them out to be".

You can buy a cheap crapper and you can buy a supercar. The variation is massive.

Same with smartphones, some of them are freaking terrible. The good ones are a pleasure to use. And in my opinion, Samsung make none of the good ones.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 15, 2:15 pm

Depends on what you want to use it for - there is still a lot of software that just doesn't run on Windows Phone.

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 15, 2:16 pm

Basically all I don't want to do a lot of surfing. Maybe check my bank account and do transactions, check out trademe auctions when I'm not at home. Check the weather. Mostly for talking and txting.

geek_yuuhoo, Jun 15, 2:26 pm

Your bank probably doesn't have a Windows Phone app, nor does Trademe

You can use the websites but in general this is not a very good experience (especially for banking)

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 15, 2:28 pm

Vodafone Smart 4 Turbo are reasonable price and seem ok.

geek_terry012, Jun 15, 2:38 pm

the new zenfone looks like good value for your money, anyone have one ?

geek_christine121, Jun 15, 2:59 pm

Samsung running Lollipop is fine, well on the highend range.
Their cheapos/midrange are rubbish.

geek_rz_zone, Jun 15, 3:56 pm

Anything but Apple, unless you want to fall into the category of the brainless masses who are sheep followers and are absolutely incapable of making up their own minds.

For a good bang for buck phone I would recommend the Galaxy S5 or HTC One M8. Anything older is probably considered too old.

If you like a bigger screen I would go with the Galaxy Note 3.

geek_michaelqian, Jun 15, 10:55 pm

Tbh I think the arrogance of the anti-Apple brigade is worse than the fanboys.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 15, 11:01 pm

OP: Word of advice, don't start a thread on ANY forums seeking advice on smartphones, especially which one to buy.

Because you've seen, any thread relating to such topic will turn into a Apple vs. Android thread very quickly and very spectacularly.

Go to the shops and have a play with both, and be your own decision maker. Don't listen to anyone anybody says on these forums, myself included.

geek_michaelqian, Jun 15, 11:36 pm

Uh. but you're the first one that mentioned Apple. you're usually the one that turns it into a debate. =/

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 16, 8:04 am

vtecintegra wrote:
Your bank probably doesn't have a Windows Phone app, nor does Trademe/quote]

I have both apps on my phone but they are not windows.
galaxy ace 3 with andriod

geek_newbie5, Jun 16, 3:52 pm

best advice to ever be offered.
If you want to buy something then go into the shop and have a look at what suits you best.

geek_newbie5, Jun 16, 3:54 pm

Yes IMHO, they are very well built and extremely good value for money. I bought a white ZE550ML for my wife and she absolutely loves it. I also bought her a cheap purple smart cover from ebay which adds even more functionality to an already feature packed phone. This was an upgrade to her aging Xperia Z and the difference in speed was quite noticeable.

FYI, the Zenfone 2 comes in 3 varieties. The ZE500CL (which is the 5" model and slowest everything else) the ZE550ML (which is the 5.5" model with quad core CPU) and the ZE551ML (which is the flagship but also 5.5" quad-core CPU, albeit with a higher clocked CPU and GPU and 1080p res).

*Edit* Forgot to mention the 500CL and 550ML both have 2GB of RAM but the 551ML has 4GB (depending on the model).

geek_lostdude, Jun 16, 5:03 pm

It's an enormous phone even compared to my LG G3 (same screen size but much thicker bezels). Also the capacitive nav keys aren't lit, and battery life is poor.

Aside from that good phone, especially for the price.

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 16, 5:30 pm

On the contrary, my family is unhappy with their iphones and never have trouble with their samsungs. Mine doesn't miss a beat and now DH has one as well, I don't have to hear him swear when the iphone drops calls. I know when I phone my son, it will go to answerphone and he will say later he never heard it ring. He could be telling the truth too, he has an iphone.

geek_jhan, Jun 16, 11:13 pm

I got a used iphone 4 cheaply and has served me well for some time.

geek_gsimpson, Jun 16, 11:17 pm

The reason I struggle to justify buying an iPhone is that if you buy an older model for less money, you will get a phone with a tiny screen and poor battery life. If you spend $1,000 or so buying a new model, i.e. 6 or 6 plus, for the same amount of money, you can buy an Android that offers so much more features and specs. so it's a lose lose situation either way.

geek_michaelqian, Jun 16, 11:42 pm

You must remember that some people don't want features and specs. They want a phone that will simply browse the web, take photos and make phone calls, and they know that the user experience will be pretty much the same as every other iPhone they've owned.

While I'm an Android user too, I can't deny that the iphone has a place in the market for a certain type of customer, as is proved by the tens of millions that are sold each year.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 17, 12:18 am

Doesn't sound like you would need a high-end smartphone. Any $100-$200 budget Samsung or Lumia would be easily be able to do what you wanted.

geek_billyfieldman, Jun 17, 9:08 am

99% of $100-200 smartphones are laggy, slow, have crappy displays and just generally give Android a bad name.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 17, 9:44 am

For a good smartphone that's not too expensive I would recommend a Motorola Moto G2 although I do not the price has gone up on them recently but you can get one for $277 at HN.

geek_ctnz, Jun 17, 3:18 pm

The G2 is one of the few exceptions. Warehouse Stationery have them for $199 this week. Epic price for a very good phone.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 17, 3:24 pm

Ends today - Sold out already?

geek_ross1970, Jun 17, 3:29 pm

at $ 199 I would say so

geek_ctnz, Jun 17, 3:55 pm

Some stores have stock.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 17, 3:58 pm

Warning this poster is paid to promote the following products on this message board
Apple
Intel
Nvidia

geek_honeysacat, Jun 17, 4:18 pm

Man I'm still waiting for that cheque to come in the mail.

Maybe AMD intercepted it.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 17, 4:27 pm

Warning, this poster is a stuck record. ( along with being a bit tragic ) isn't there a popular girls song atm - "Let it go"?

geek_ross1970, Jun 17, 6:29 pm

Hopefully the Moto G3 will come out soon for a great price so i can stop kicking myself for not knowing the G2 was 199 this week.

geek_ross1970, Jun 17, 6:31 pm

I have a Samsung s4. I am not able to phone out or receive calls send or receive texts either. The message I am getting is Mobile Network not available. I am with 2 degrees as is my husband and he can send and receive so I don't think it could be a network fault. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

geek_chasing, Jun 17, 8:20 pm

Call 2Degrees and ask them.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 17, 8:34 pm

babamo

geek_king1, Jun 17, 9:00 pm

Calm answer required, I too need a smart phone (currently used a Nokia 3121), only need it to talk and text with minimal internet, biggest reason for staying with my N3121 is when I sync the calendar (windows Outlook) I can choose the direction. I also have a S2 ipod which only syncs phone to computer (pain in arse not have option of direction) ipod is running out of space so looking to combine both devices in one smart phone. And a suitable programme to sync calendar (currently used PC Suite). Thinking of Samsung or Nokia, with option of extra card space.
Nice calm recommendations please, luddite and aged.

geek_portly, Jun 20, 3:50 pm

You are best to start your own thread rather than post a question in someone elses :)

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 20, 4:03 pm

I have a Samsung Note 4 - I like it, good screen good graphics, does everything I want very well.

geek_salniamh, Aug 4, 10:20 pm

Share this thread