Want to edit HD vids and keep them HD

What programs would allow me to edit HD/full HD videos and then save them while keeping the same HD quality?
Windows Movie Maker and some other one i have on my compy don't seem to save the vids with very good quality so i'm having to look elsewhere.

I mainly want to crop bits out of videos, and maybe add music to some of them.

geek_mustang-man, Jul 2, 10:49 pm

Movie Maker is pretty good for the basics.

Video quality is all about the export settings. Have you checked yours? It could be set to output SD or low bitrate or something.

You want it to be outputting 1280x720 or 1920x1080 (depending on your source footage), and at a decent bitrate (7-10mbit if you're uploading, 30mbit+ if you're archiving).

geek_suicidemonkey, Jul 2, 11:35 pm

Download Ubuntu Studio.

It's a free operating system that comes with a few video editors packaged.
You can make a bootable USB drive using http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

Openshot Video Editor can handle HD video and is included in the Ubuntu Studio download (around 2gb download)

geek_jeremy_74, Jul 2, 11:45 pm

Yeah, always try save/export in the best quality on Movie maker, but upon saving they look worse than the original file. :/

geek_mustang-man, Jul 3, 12:07 am

You will always lose some quality when editing lossy compressed files.

geek_r.g.nixon, Jul 3, 7:48 am

Shouldn't look noticeably worse tho

geek_suicidemonkey, Jul 3, 8:39 am

That depends if you transcode the video (which will lose some quality) or whether you just slice the video at an I-frame (which won't transcode any video, won't lose any quality, but won't allow you to select an exact frame for the slice).

And replacing the sound won't change the picture quality either.

geek_gyrogearloose, Jul 3, 8:46 am

Yeah cool idea. Boot a whole separate operating system just to save edited home video in HD. Thats sort of like formatting your hard disk to empty the trashbin. .

geek_oclaf, Jul 4, 2:25 am

except booting from USB you won't lose your windows installation.

You can easily reboot to windows when your done

Do you know a free alternative for Windows that the op can use?

geek_jeremy_74, Jul 4, 8:25 am

Agreed. For the majority of users, this is not a solution, when there are plenty of easy ways to do it within Windows.

If Movie Maker isn't doing the trick, just Google "best free video editing software". There is plenty out there. Unfortunately I'm not much help with the free stuff, as I use the professional software for my work.

The only free app I know of is Lightworks, but it's far from simple the learn. Fully featured though. If you like video editing, it might be worth looking into. It's a very addictive hobby.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jul 4, 9:48 pm

Linux fanbois like you don't help the spread of it. I cringe at people like you. Linux is more than fine, particularly in a server environment, the fanbois like you that tries to peddle it every chance they can no matter what the user needs is, not so much.

geek_dudekrulz, Jul 5, 9:22 am

not a fanboi lol. After hours of searching for a good windows program that wasn't limited or watermarked myself, I found open source to work best for me.

geek_jeremy_74, Jul 5, 9:33 am

I picked up Corel video studio for not a lot. It was on special at the time. Its far better than movie maker

geek_wotz_it_2_ya, Jul 5, 9:47 am

Lightworks looked interesting but I was put off when I read the Free version was unable to import H.264 or AVCHD files.
Is this correct?

geek_jeremy_74, Jul 5, 10:02 am

geek_suicidemonkey, Jul 5, 11:12 am

Seems they added AVCHD support to the free version a couple of years ago.
Max output of 720p web ready format. Does web ready just mean low bitrate?

The cost of a months license seems reasonable, if your doing just a one off.

geek_jeremy_74, Jul 6, 9:33 am

I'm not worried if it's free or not, just so long as it does what i want it to do. I draw the line at anything over $200 though probably, since i'd only use it a few times a year.

geek_mustang-man, Jul 6, 11:13 pm

I know what the OP means, quite often i find with some programs that the output quality is always less than the original even with the highest quality settings. it depends alot on the codecs being used i find more than anything else.

geek_nzoomed, Jul 6, 11:16 pm

Looks like you can get Adobe Premiere for $19 per month. I think this is like the gold standard. I bought Pinnacle Studio a while ago for about $90.

geek_emmerson1, Jun 15, 5:08 pm

Share this thread