Locked out: kid has changed pword on windows 8 pc

HI, can someone please help.
My kid set himself up as an administrator on my laptop, then changed my password and can't remember either that or the admin password he chose. So we are locked out. I don't have any set up disks. Its a samsung laptop running Windows 8.1.
Can anyone help?
Cheers
Leah

geek_leah14, Feb 28, 4:51 pm

You should probably make yourself a Hiren's Boot CD or thumb drive.

geek_r.g.nixon, Feb 28, 4:54 pm

Did you happen to setup it up with a "Microsoft Account" ?

geek_soodanim, Feb 28, 6:12 pm

http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/download.php?type=livecd download and run the vista/7 version it scans for passwords on ALL microsoft based programs have had to use it a fair bit and has always worked for me

geek_beast9, Mar 2, 1:41 pm

Yup as above.

geek_fordcrzy, Mar 5, 9:08 pm

d/l that now just incase i ever get into that form of deep sh1t

geek_o0_hamburger_0o, Mar 5, 9:53 pm

gee whiz. just blank the password out with "Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor" . although uefi can be a pain.

geek_gibler, Mar 5, 10:15 pm

Don't do any of that crap. Just start the laptop up, connect to the Internet, you don't need to be logged in to do this. Then from another computer go here https://account.live.com/password/reset

geek_d.snell, Mar 5, 11:07 pm

You're assuming a microsoft account.

geek_black-heart, Mar 5, 11:10 pm

Yes, I find 99% of win 8 users have set them up with Microsoft accounts and passwords. Also, some updates can not be done unless signed in with a MS account.

geek_d.snell, Mar 6, 1:14 am

really? I have only seen one person do it, and they did it because they couldn't find the local account method. Once given the choice, they preferred to ditch the MS account.

geek_black-heart, Mar 6, 10:34 am

I have multiple PC's, the Microsoft account is invaluable.

geek__drdee_, Mar 6, 11:15 am

Can you not ask the kid for the password, and not feed him / her until they remember. You,ll be amazed how hunger can sharpen the mind!

geek_andrew1954, Mar 8, 6:46 pm

When I work on a customer's notebook and it's using a Microsoft Account, I suggest they change from Password access to PIN number access (usually 1111 for ease of access) and turn off the "require password on wakeup", that way, the notebook is more user friendly, but leaves it connected to the MS account, which improves it's functionality. The best of both worlds.

geek_d.snell, Mar 8, 8:35 pm

I wait in anticipation of user profile corruption & the microsoft account hilarity.

geek_black-heart, Jun 5, 10:07 am

Share this thread