All in one comps?

Been awhile since i looked at pcs.
Need a cheapy one for my dad that will do the job for a few years, basic stuff to run internet/email/youtube, word, movies, music.

Just wondering on those HP all in ones. Looks to me, like a cross between laptop and pc. I guess parts are non upgradeable, easy to replace. like dvd player
https://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/computers/computers/desktop-computers/all-in-ones/hp-20-r010a-19-45-all-in-one-computer/prod139550.html

geek_steves73, Aug 14, 5:59 pm

It's an overgrown very low end laptop. Might be fine for your usage depending on expectations.

geek_vtecintegra, Aug 14, 6:02 pm

For what you need it for it's ok

geek_ctnz, Aug 14, 6:33 pm

Yeah basically a big laptop. Fine for the basics but not much else.

geek_suicidemonkey, Aug 14, 6:46 pm

My mother bought one recently.
Amazingly low power consumption by the CPU. 5 watts from memory.
Slow, but will do everything she needs, same use case as yours I think.

geek_r.g.nixon, Aug 14, 6:58 pm

Can be worth taking another look at the AIO units. The big plus for many people is the reduced 'footprint' on the desk (taking little more space than a normal monitor), and for many people perhaps more importantly, a reduction in the cables, especially for the units with wireless keyboard & mouse. In the ideal setup all there would be is a power cable, everything else being Wifi of one sort or another (Internet, Printer, Kbd & Mouse). While it is true that the significant components are proprietary (mainboard, psu etc), other components such as the HDD, RAM etc are industry-standard. But a failed Mainboard or PSU three years down the track might be an expensive replacement part. On the other hand, this is the same for most Laptops, and even for some unique design Desktop PC's. All-In-Ones have their place and many users I deal with seem to love them. There are 'performance' models as well as those with more basic specs.

geek_cookee_nz, Aug 14, 9:07 pm

It's worth checking out Warehouse Stationery's range. they tend to be the cheapest around when they're on special.

geek_suicidemonkey, Aug 14, 9:35 pm

I have a similar type of computer, now over 4 years old and has gone very nicely. I love the tidiness of it all. Spent heaps more than that though. Only prob I've had is the on/off switch wasn't working too well and sometimes it would seem to make the connection and turn on. Finally took it in for a fix and silly IT company said the switch was fine, it just needed a new motherboard for $700. Like heck. it switches on very well now and I'm sure it's just because they had it in bits and the switch got some sort of clean. (Another IT guy said these computers can be tricky because of the all in one, and overheating so offered me a new computer deal)

It's an HP.

Have since reformatted back to factory settings, and reloaded most things. Considering my self taught IT skills, I think I've done well. Now have windows 10 running and it's better than ever.

geek_xxsaffyxx, Aug 14, 9:37 pm

Guess ill need to go look at these.
Are the gpu part of cpu, upgradeble or soldered in?

Dont like buying PCs for other people.
Some tardme ex gaming machine would prob do the trick, more powerful and upgradeble when they turn up. just missed one by 2mins. doh
Dont want slow, though anything would be faster than what my dad has already. painful to do anything! And i doubt my dad will even full a 500gb disc, let alone 1 tb lol

geek_steves73, Aug 15, 10:49 am

Don't like them, never have.
But if you aren't doing to much with it. i.e surf net, type letters, emails, watch the odd movie and youtube video etc it would suit your needs

geek_neoslowmo, Aug 15, 10:55 am

Yeah they are very low.
We outfitted a couple computer labs at work with some HP all in one's couple years back (just for standard L2-L4 computing use) amazingly low power draw to those labs when they are all on.
Still don't like them though and yeah doesn't take to long for them to start slowing down.

geek_neoslowmo, Aug 15, 10:59 am

They are crap.

I get lots of customers asking me about them and they seemed happy to pay over $3k for the things!
I explain that they contain very low end laptop hardware and you are essentially paying for the large touchscreen. They also have higher failure rates and sometimes overheating issues.
Parts can only be obtained by the manufacturer which is worth more than the machine is worth.
Ive had lots of unhappy customers who have bought them.
For the same amount of money you could build a decent gaming rig.

geek_nzoomed, Feb 18, 4:16 pm

Share this thread