Upgrade 2005 HP desktop

The motherboard is MSI MS-7184
HP/Compaq name: AmethystM-GL6E
Micro-ATX: 24.4cm X 24.4cm

The DVD writer is newish (hardly used) description: DVD-RAM writer
product: iHAS324 W
vendor: ATAPI

I can buy a motherboard + power supply to fit ? what else will need?

geek_jh34, Jun 13, 8:13 am

cpu and ram
it will not be worth spending any money on it

Being an HP you might also have issues with activating windows

geek_king1, Jun 13, 8:26 am

So MB + CPU + ram + power supply

"Being an HP you might also have issues with activating windows"
How will it know it is an HP?

geek_jh34, Jun 13, 9:26 am

It will have come with an HP OEM version of Windows (and it would have been XP on a system that old anyway)

Really nothing is worth trying to salvage - the DVD drive could be reused if you still want one in the new system.

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 13, 9:41 am

it is tied to the mobo bios. XP era used oembios files in the windows installation which need to match the bios SLP string.

Basically OEMs ie HP, get cheaper versions of windows but the license dies when the computer does. Changing the mobo essentially kills the computer as it was, and hence the windows licence.

Some folks might say that it actually works, but my experience suggests otherwise. Down the track you may find yourself running a non-genuine version of windows.

This is of course assuming you are trying to resurrect the existing windows license.

geek_king1, Jun 13, 9:45 am

I could upgrade the ram bu I've still got an old machine?

*-bank:0
description: DIMM DDR Synchronous 266 MHz (3.8 ns)
*-bank:1

*-bank:2
*-bank:3
Total ram is 1.5 GB just enough for Linux
According to MB manual
Four 184-pin DDR DIMM sockets
Supports dual channel, eight memory banks DDR 333/400 DDR DIMMs
Supports 2.5v DDR SDRAM DIMMs
Maximum HP/Compaq approved memory is 4 GB* without ECC
I'm not confident about buying ram but I it looks like 4GB would cost about $160 (assuming these work)

http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?k=375

geek_jh34, Jun 13, 9:47 am

Actually I think I have overwritten Windows years ago to run ubuntu and I would have to chase it up (XP) so I won't be doing that.

geek_jh34, Jun 13, 9:55 am

So just the box and DVD player. The DVD player cost $40 and i don't suppose a box is worth much?

geek_jh34, Jun 13, 9:58 am

You might be able to reuse the box and PSU, if you aren't a gamer (don't require a discrete videocard). You can use adapters to convert power connectors to SATA ones. But a new motherboard will not line up well with existing holes in your old case.

geek_r.g.nixon, Jun 13, 10:49 am

don't even bother - the best cpu that the mobo takes is this (yours will probably be somewhat less)
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+64+X2+Dual+Core+4800%2B

A decent CPU these days would benchmark around 3000-5000.

geek_king1, Jun 13, 11:13 am

If your current CPU is a single core, getting this will give you a bit of a boost

http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/cpus/intel/auction-899048372.htm
Keep an eye out for some cheap DDR RAM and it may just be worth upgrading this.

geek_schizoid, Jun 13, 1:37 pm

Disagree - no way that system is worth messing with

If money is tight grab an ex-lease Core2 Duo desktop - should be around $200 with Windows 7 installed.

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 13, 1:44 pm

Sometimes an ex-lease Core2 Duo, with Win 7 Pro license is $60

geek_r.g.nixon, Jun 13, 2:00 pm

A $10 upgrade isn't worth it? Pretty much any dual core CPU is still fine for basic usage. I'm guessing some more DDR is needed also, but that can be found for next to nothing if you keep an eye out. I've thrown some out in the past, would have given it away if I knew there were still people needing it.

Or there's the rg nixon solution just above.

geek_schizoid, Jun 13, 2:13 pm

I've bought several from this outfit. I have no association with them other than being a happy customer. www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=2908730
If it says we can install Windows 7 Pro for an extra $30, that means it has a CoA license sticker, and you can install it yourself for free.

geek_r.g.nixon, Aug 23, 10:14 am

Share this thread