My new laptop has Windows 8

And I don't seem to be able to find how I can cut & paste.

HHHEEELLLPPPPPPPPP

Thanks

geek_lindymf55, Jul 7, 3:03 pm

same as usual
select first then right click

or ctrl c,v,x

geek_king1, Jul 7, 3:07 pm

Thank you. On my old laptop I used to use the cut and paste up the top (not sure what I mean really, as I'm an older generation user and don't know all the right words) but I used to have 'file' and lots of others. I don't like it when things change on me. lol

geek_lindymf55, Jul 7, 3:40 pm

Use the Ctrl+C (copy)
Ctrl+X (cut)
Ctrl+V (paste)

Better this way, as some programs don't have it on the menu at the top, or hide part of the menu.

geek_r.g.nixon, Jul 7, 5:32 pm

how do you enable to old menus on win8, I know there is a way, and this poster would surely appreciate the instructions

geek_skin1235, Jul 7, 5:46 pm

Oh yes, you are right. I want what I had before.:)

Thank you.

geek_lindymf55, Jul 7, 5:49 pm

What did you have before? XP? Vista? Win 7?

geek_r.g.nixon, Jul 7, 8:19 pm

I'm the same but new Laptop with Windows 8.1 (not sure how much different it is from Window 8)

My old Vaio was Vista IE 9 I think but gave up the ghost so I bought a Lenovo Idea Pad at Hardly Norman last Friday. I said to the guy today it seems to have 2 different systems. He said yeah it does. The Windows tiles like on my tablet & whatever the other thing is called.

I also said it goes slower than my 7yr old Vaio. He said it be could because it needs updates. He said we don't normally tell ppl that! I might look a bit young for my age but it was clear to sales person I knew nothing about thing IT. The guy at tech help told me where to go to get updates.

He said we don't normally sign into Microsoft either. Seems I have somehow. I just followed the prompts to set it up when I got home.

I couldn't find anywhere to load my camera software. I called to ask where it was on Saturday & the girl said it doesn't have one! LOL who knew. I guess most ppl under 40 did but not me.

geek_mme, Jul 7, 8:39 pm

Anyway the 2 different systems are annoying bc they suddenly switch.

Also the tabs at the top disappear & you have to put the cursor there so they appear which is slight delay. Is there a way to set them to stay?

geek_mme, Jul 7, 8:43 pm

r.g, is there a way to activate the menu system to at least something like previous versions, or a download to do so?

geek_skin1235, Jul 7, 9:20 pm

CTRL+C and CTRL+V really is the easiest way. If you get used to that, it won't matter what version of Windows you use - it will work with all of them.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jul 7, 9:36 pm

Every program has it's own menu. But perhaps you mean a Start Menu? In that case, use the free & excellent http://ClassicShell.net

geek_r.g.nixon, Jul 7, 9:37 pm

So if I just "Download Now", then I will go back to the old windows8?

geek_lindymf55, Jul 7, 9:45 pm

Download it. Install it. You have quite a few options as to how it looks. I set mine to look like Windows XP, as I jumped from that straight to Windows 8.

geek_r.g.nixon, Jul 7, 9:52 pm

download it, once downloaded double click on it, it will run through the instal operation, when you next click on the start button it will show you the options it can enable, choose the ones that resemble what you want
its really quite good, certainly removes that 'everything is new and in different places' feeling and allows you to enjoy using the computer again

geek_skin1235, Jul 7, 9:54 pm

Google Windows 8 ribbon - that's what you need for all those things that you miss. It is probably hiding and you need to click the little down pointing arrow next to the blue question mark - top right of your window. Hope this helps :)

geek_nzmu, Jul 7, 9:56 pm

Thanks heaps everyone. I will do the download tomorrow when I'm awake properly. lol

geek_lindymf55, Jul 7, 10:52 pm

Yay. I have it now. Thank you so much. I am a very happy gal.:)

geek_lindymf55, Jun 10, 5:08 pm

Share this thread