Who is using what

Hubby and I are on a 40gig plan and we keep blaming each other or even the neighbour for using more than their fair share. Is there a way of finding out who uses what? And how much does listening to the radio on broadband use. TIA

geek_fibertrix, Jun 28, 12:37 pm

The neighbour?

geek_acura, Jun 28, 1:04 pm

You can work out how much the radio uses, based on the quality. 64kb/s (b = bits) is common. There are 8 bits in a byte (capital B), but allow 9 for overheads. So that would be 9 kB/s = 540 kB/ min = 32400 kB/hr (divide by 1024 to get MB/hr = 31.6) = 380 MB in 12 hours. If you played that stream for 12 hours per day, in 30 days that would use 11.4 GB.

geek_r.g.nixon, Jun 28, 1:55 pm

What radio station is it? I may be able to tell you it's bit-rate.

geek_r.g.nixon, Jun 28, 1:57 pm

Thanks guys. Based on the above there is no way I could have used 4GB listening to the National station for an hour. Hubby says he only down loaded 4GB last night but this morning 8 GB has been used. I know I can get three bars in my studio which is further away than the neighbours lounge, so I might have to look at putting a pass word on.

geek_fibertrix, Jun 28, 6:10 pm

You should have done this from the beginning. The blame is squarely on both of you.

geek_schizoid, Jun 28, 6:41 pm

I tested Radio New Zealand National - yes they stream at 64 kb/s

geek_r.g.nixon, Jun 28, 6:53 pm

Networx might be of some help - https://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

geek_trade_menow, Jun 28, 10:48 pm

Without a password you are probably liable for any illegal downloads that your neighbours do

geek_piperguy, Jul 14, 5:03 pm

Share this thread