Computer Closedown on Desktop.

1830, Apr 29, 10:03pm
Interested to know when you close the computer down,do you turn the power off at wall or keep it on at all times?
When i had dial up i always did, as i only used it for a short while,but now having broadband,have found the date/ clock has to be restarted each time.

nzoomed, Apr 29, 10:09pm
I turn mine off at the wall each night as i dont like leaving my PSU on soft power 24/7.
Anyway, your internal clock battery will be flat, get a CR2032 from the supermarket and swap it out with the one on the motherboard

mazdasix, Apr 29, 11:01pm
I've never heard of people turning their computer off at the wall. i never have. the battery will go flat

ross1970, Apr 29, 11:16pm
Honestly? who the heck turns desktops off at the wall. You'd probably save more power by using your clothes dryer for 1 min less per month or something equally insignificant.

nzoomed, Apr 30, 3:50am
Your right, it doesn't make a big bearing on power saving.
I do it from the point that it should extend the life of the power supply, but i dont know if there would be much impact on this or not.

gibler, Apr 30, 4:39am
I despise the people at work who turn them (desktops) off at the wall. A waste of eveyone's time changing a bios battery.

nzoomed, Apr 30, 4:59am
leaving the computer plugged in or not makes no bearing on the battery life.
They typically last 3 around years on most machines and i can vouch for this as i had a computer with 8 years use and i turned it off every night at the wall.
I got 6 years out of my battery.

lilyfield, Apr 30, 6:27am
I turn everything off on the wall, every gadget in the house, always.

spyware, Apr 30, 6:50am
My computers run 24/7. Monitor power off and sleep are set to never. Why turn them off.

lilyfield, Apr 30, 7:04am
Some of us like to keep the powerbill as low as possible

suicidemonkey, Apr 30, 7:37am
Most computers at idle use 20-50 watts, and 1-2 watts at sleep. To put that in perspective, A 100 watt lightbulb uses around 0.1 cents per hour, or a little over 2 cents per day.

So even if you leave your computer idling all day, you're saving at most about 1 cent per day by turning it off, and about 0 cents by unplugging it.

cookee_nz, May 1, 12:51am
Taken in isolation, the savings do seem miniscule but my niece once did a high school project (spread over a 3-6 month period for accuracy). It included all the 'wall-warts' we have (chargers) that almost always sit there turned on but not connected to anything, and still drawing a small amount of current. The test was conducted by a large number of students and the savings from the diligent switching off of all devices at the WALL, unused lights etc made a noticeable difference per month. The final step was getting them to extrapolate those savings across the year and in many instances it got well into the hundreds of $. Money you are just giving to the power companies which when added up might equal a few nights out at a restaurant. But, I'm among those who leave my PC running 24/7 and dare I say it, chargers left on from time to time simply keeping warm. It's just as much habit as anything.

1830, May 1, 12:46pm
Just to advise, that i bought the battery and installed it and all up and running again,. thanks for comments.

nice_lady, May 1, 6:34pm
Hubbys not too sure about your maths. According to our powerbill kilowatt costs about $0.20c so a computer even just merely idling for 24 hours and using 20watts per hour would use about half a KW. That's $0.10c worth of power not 1 cent as you said. Also a 100w light bulb obviously uses 100w per hour thus over 24 hours that's 2400w, or 2.4KW and at $0.20c per Kw thats $0.48c per day.

As for things on standby and such such like chargers/tv's etc the power they use is minimal for example my tv uses 1w per hour on standby thus if it's on standby 16 hours per day that's 16watts per day that's around $10c per month cost. Cookee_nz stated that their school study showed some folks could save hundreds a year by switching off standby devices and lights ? I"m kind of amazed at that, yes lights left running, will use up a reasonable amount of power over time. But 'wall warts' as he/she called them ? Nah.

nice_lady, May 1, 7:27pm
ok a comp at sleep mode using 2 watts for instance would only use 48 watts per day so it'd be about 1c worth of power for sure, idle mode uses a lot more relatively.

lythande1, May 1, 7:39pm
No I just turn it of with it's switch.
All my appliances get turned off rather than on standby, but not at the wall. They have on/off switches.

d.snell, May 2, 12:20am
It will probably shorten the life of your PSU rather than extending. When you turn your computer off with soft power, the PSU's Capactitors are kept charged. If you disconnect the power, these will eventually dissipate and when the power is reapplied by switching on, there is a massive surge to re-charge those capacitors. Also, the circuitry in the PSU, especially FET's has got cold, it needs to come back to working temp fast. The result of this is a large amount of stress put on components when initially powered up, that will incrementally cause a shortened life span. Also, because of these surges, power consumption is about the same as turning off at the Power Source.
Same principle works for TV sets.
In reality, if you want to save energy, invest in energy saving technologies. LED lighting, Energy Saving Appliances, Insulation, Double Glazing, Heat Distribution Systems like HRV, Moisture Master etc.
These are where the real savings can be made, not piddling around turning things off at the wall, and then shortening their life, by doing so. It's false feel-good economy.

nzoomed, May 2, 3:00am
Ive read this argument and while i agree that no real power savings are made leaving on, we still hear from, the likes of EECA that switching off all standby devices save you power, so IDK, i dont turn it off for power savings.

From experience ive found that most PSU's that people leave on standby 24/7 seem to fail more often than ones that dont.
I replace PSU's very often, about as often as i do hard drives, they often dont have a long life, even some of the expensive brands seem to last shorter than some cheap crappy generic brands.

IDK if a PSU being left on standby even gets that "warm" to make any difference or not as the standby load and voltage is extremely low, but what i do know is that electrolytic capacitors dont last long if kept warm.
I see heaps of PSU's with faulty caps, usually swollen, and even today the leaky capacitor syndrome has not gone away. Less time that electrolytic caps are powered up, the shorter their life.

d.snell, May 2, 3:16am
Yes EECA is only interested in the power consumption, not the overall cost picture, so I take their findings are out of context.
Capacitors don't like being charged from a fully discharged state more than they don't like warm. The stress of charging is huge compared to the stress maintaining them charged. On and off will shorten the life of a cap, no question.
As far as faulty caps are concerned, while we are out of the BadCaps era, manufacturers are still scrimping and trying to save 1c, so they continue to make PSU and use PSU's with Caps that are underrated. Even the expensive brands are guilty of this. So I would expect a PSU today to last about 3-5 years and that's all. Most of the time the PC is stuffed before that anyway.

bwg11, May 2, 3:59am
Just to play devil's advocate, it is indisputable that repetitive heating/cooling cycles shorten the life of any electrical component. While working in the industry I have seen PC's which have never been turned off run for 10 years plus until they are obsolete. Conversely, I have seen PC's which are shutdown nightly have power supply, MB and HD failures inside 3 years.

Agree the power saving is minimal, but I do switch mine off every night, the PC, monitor, router, speakers and 2 printers all run off the same multi-board, so one switch turns everything off. Things turned off at the wall are less likely to burst into flames.

cjdnzl, May 2, 5:43am
A 100-watt incandescent lightbulb will use a kilowatt of power every 10 hours. Our power costs are about 29 cents per unit (kilowatt/hour) GST included, so 1 hour's power for that bulb would be 2.9 cents, considerably more than your 0.1 cents, and over 58 cents for 24 hours. Your figures are misleading.

nzoomed, Dec 24, 8:18am
This i agree with.
I know of several house fires started from cellphone chargers etc.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)