Sneaky Microsoft!

geek_chnman, Aug 1, 10:27 pm

Hrm I usually defend MS but that's a bit sneaky. especially in countries like ours where we get relatively small data caps

geek_suicidemonkey, Aug 1, 10:29 pm

Thats going to be pretty crappy for ppl on a small data cap & or slow speeds

geek_mrfxit, Aug 1, 10:39 pm

Also playing Solitaire will be ad supported and has a video playing for a short time, unless you pay. see some of the user comments, too funny!

http://au.ign.com/articles/2015/07/30/windows-10-turns-solitaire-into-a-free-to-play-game

geek_chnman, Aug 1, 10:45 pm

Yeah but at the end of the day it's night time. so there's that.

geek_suicidemonkey, Aug 1, 10:48 pm

The 3 words that MS has mentioned a few times re W10 is;
W10 "AS A SERVICE"
You pay for services!

geek_shinedog, Aug 2, 8:30 am

So obviously they'll disable it. Simple. What am I missing?

geek_ross1970, Aug 2, 9:12 am

from what i've read, only the pro version will allow you to disable or defer the updates, home edition users get no choice

geek_pcmaster, Aug 2, 9:39 am

How long do you give it before some malware figures out how to suck all your data down the same way?

geek_tillsbury, Aug 2, 12:05 pm

You can disable peer to peer updates on any version (although the wording in setting is, at best, confusing)

geek_vtecintegra, Aug 2, 12:10 pm

Yes I changed mine from the default of "PC's on local network and Internet" to "PC's on local network only". So when I get an update, it should download it to one of the PC's and then use that to update the others on the local network. Will save me data :-)

geek_d.snell, Aug 2, 12:29 pm

Hmmm, I can't see how microsoft would be able to detect if you're connection is capped or not .

geek_lucky.gadgets, Aug 2, 4:33 pm

you set your connection as a "metered connection" yourself don't you?

geek_ross1970, Aug 2, 4:51 pm

FIRST, joe bloggs has to KNOW to do it.
Very good chance it's ON by default.

geek_mrfxit, Aug 2, 5:46 pm

Seems that feature only became available since Windows 8, so windows 7 users won't have any idea about it.

And from the looks of it, you can only set wifi connections as 'metered connections', so if your connect to your router/modem via ethernet cable, it wouldn't be possible.

geek_lucky.gadgets, Aug 2, 5:48 pm

geek_chnman, Aug 2, 8:54 pm

Yeah the wording confuzzles the hell out of it all but pretty much done what D.Snell suggested.

geek_sykotik_ninja, Aug 2, 9:10 pm

Great info thanks.
Been wondering where all the fishhooks would be.

geek_mrfxit, Aug 2, 9:18 pm

We've all had tech in our lives for long enough now that just blindly jumping in to new OS's, services and devices without a modicum of research and learning about whats ON by default, or happening in the background, is just lazy.

geek_ross1970, Aug 2, 9:52 pm

Fibre with unlimited - wgif?

geek_fishb8, Aug 2, 9:54 pm

Like heck it is lazy. that is quite a belittling statement.

To get this latest download I've had to spend several hours at my computer and tidy up a few things along the way to get it running smoothly. I am Joe Bloggs - and I work on a computer all day, processing and using data programmes. However, it has still taken me quite an effort to work through this. Several nights. and I've learnt some good helpful tips from this forum.

However, if I were Joe Bloggs the labourer who works outside all day, and just wants internet to browse, get some music and email, how they heck would I know any of this stuff? Or even think to look for it?

geek_xxsaffyxx, Aug 2, 10:26 pm

You call my statement belittling but then go on to belittle labourers who you infer have have simpler tech needs than you simply by nature of them being a labourer?

geek_ross1970, Aug 2, 10:35 pm

Mine (ISO install, not upgrade) asked me who I wanted to share update traffic with, and gave me the option to turn it all off if I wanted. I did. There's too much hidden in even more obscure places than before that ordinary folks won't have a clue about to know whether it should be on or off.

So far, apart from playing the games, I wouldn't cross the street to give MS money for it. It's just wrapped up a whole lot of nothing new except more issues in a pretty new package and chucked a bow on top of it.

I'll see what I think of it tomorrow.

geek_morticia, Aug 2, 10:40 pm

Don't twist it like that ross1970. I'm comparing someone who sits in front a computer all day and lives/works with it, compared to somebody who might only be on the computer one hour each evening.

Different skillsets completely.

geek_xxsaffyxx, Aug 2, 10:42 pm

Rubbish. Some of the most tech incompetent people I know sit in front of a computer all day.

geek_ross1970, Aug 2, 10:50 pm

They probably wouldn't and at the end of the day it wouldn't matter to them anyway.

geek_vtecintegra, Aug 2, 10:52 pm

Silly statements . ross1970 ! Grow up !

geek_mike16, Aug 3, 8:01 am

True but there taught to use their programs at work and don't venture anywhere else.

Windows 10 is working well, put it on yesterday.

geek_jhan, Aug 3, 8:29 am

There are a lot of privacy issues with WIN10 as well. It gives itself permission to store and share pretty much everything you type, view or do with "trusted partners".

geek_cammey, Aug 3, 9:19 am

But only if you choose this in the installation process. I didn't.

geek_jhan, Aug 3, 9:34 am

Fact is he is right. I just want my computer to run like my car, I turn the ignition and it starts. select a gear and we are off. I don't expect to be a mechanic constantly under the hood every morning.

geek_pestri, Aug 3, 9:41 am

True tech has been around for a while now.
But people still don't know - hell I'm a Tech and have 3 PCs 2 Laptops and 2 tablets in my house and my kids still don't check things out that they download and use.
Same goes with general population many times I've had people ask me to remove things from startup for them when a simple look into the settings and turn off start when windows starts or similar would solve it.
They simply didn't know.

geek_neoslowmo, Aug 3, 10:10 am

If you haven't taken the effort and time to learn the basics - don't know how to check your oil, what grade of oil your car takes, the correct tyre pressure, the servicing intervals for various parts, how to change a tyre etc etc - then you're lazy. You don't need to be a rocket scientist a mechanic, or constantly under the bonnet.

Same as the point I'm making about if you get a new device or OS, take the time to learn the basics - go through all the settings, read up a bit. If you don't, you're lazy. For someone to say it is belittling to call someone lazy who hasn't made the effort to learn is laughable.

geek_ross1970, Aug 3, 10:14 am

We are all a little rushed and use our grey matter only when necessary. I think about the computer use and have made sure I understand and can do as much as possible. But then, I have an old VCR which I"ve been meaning to connect up to our modern receiver and tv for about 6 months to view old videos, it's in the too hard basket. I'm as bad as the computer users who only care to turn it on.

geek_jhan, Aug 3, 10:24 am

Humans are lazy by default.
We communicated by smoke signals rather then walk over there
We communicate now by computer rather then Drive over there.
We buy & sell stuff via computer.
I know plenty of households that PM/ TEXT each other from within the same house because they can't be bothered getting off their collective butts.

Joe Bloggs is far more concerned with chatting & playing games then customising a computer or checking security around their personal data info
Never mind installing a security suite.
HELL, most don't even know to NOT turn on a wet ph.

geek_mrfxit, Aug 3, 10:29 am

We get complacent inside our learning and forget the huge advantage it gives us in thinking laterally and understanding other technologies. Some of the people now using computers came from a time where they went to school on horses, had outdoor plumbing and no electricity and never learnt to drive a car and have no concept of what drives technology in the first place.

The biggest issue is the continual "improvement" of things that already perform their function just fine which just increment the time and financial cost with no actual benefit to the average user. The minute something straight out of the box needs something turning off (or offers a choice to do so with a default of on) to protect its owners interests, it's a fail.

geek_morticia, Aug 3, 12:21 pm

A discussion involving any actual thinking is obviously over your head.

geek_ross1970, Aug 3, 12:33 pm

Quite I don't need to be with my car. and the guarantee requires that I do NOT fiddle with the mechanics; unlike my computer. I view computer technology as an immature technology that DOES require me to constantly be under the bonnet

geek_pestri, Aug 3, 7:13 pm

Yes saw that & as i like an occasional game I was a little peeved but not 'end all & be all' I suppose

geek_missrat, Aug 3, 7:23 pm

I have been waiting in anticipation for Win10 which is sitting waiting in my task tray. BI opened it yesterday and had a peep but didn't install. I am now just waiting before I go ahead as I am a little unsure as yet. Keeping eye on threads and any problems which may/maynot arise. Hopefully I will be brave enough to download soon, but was slightly put off reading MS could use our internet connection to upload Microsoft updates to other Windows 10 users. So will see what eventuates for a bit. I think.

geek_missrat, Aug 3, 7:39 pm

get linux kanotix etc on a dvd or usb pen drive in case your microcraps it self .

geek_intrade, Aug 3, 7:42 pm

Oh dear - I'll be honest. have no idea what grade of oil my car takes. Relying on the service people to deal to that. Different skill set I'm afraid. I could probably get them Windows 10 on their computer for them though.

geek_xxsaffyxx, Aug 3, 8:14 pm

P2P updates on the LAN is a pretty cool feature - I think it's built on their branchcache technology. Over the Internet. yeah not so much.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Aug 3, 10:00 pm

or the mentality of "just because the plug fits, this cord will charge my device" without the person having any idea of electrical voltages, amperages or loads, not realising the plug on the end is sometimes rated differently to what theyre trying to charge, USB has mostly solved that problem but it does still happen

as for txting within the same building, try this scenario (i see this at least once a week)

house full of people, all in the same room, seated next to each other all with devices out, or parked infront of PCs, all watching something completely different via youtube or playing games, a main tv is on but no ones paying attention to it, no one talks, they all send txts or IMs (facebook is usually running behind what theyre doing)

the only actual talking is when someone gets up to use the bathroom, you get 'can you make me a coffee while you're up' or if you change the channel on the tv no one was watching, you get choruses of "hey i was watching that!" (yeah right) or to moan when the wifi signal drops

geek_pcmaster, Aug 4, 4:17 am

LOL spot on.
Often have it here with the manchild sitting in front of the TV playing games on his ph but the moment I change channel he gets up & goes to his room.

geek_mrfxit, Aug 4, 7:17 am

Yea the BB going down is a real disaster around here for 2 of the rodents . (Sorry . >residents)

geek_mrfxit, Aug 4, 8:19 am

Just imagine how successful your new car would be if upon setting out over the harbour bridge , the thing stopped dead half way across to "instal updates" .

geek_pestri, Aug 4, 11:51 am

Very easy to turn upload of updates off, and in the "update & security" section you get a month to revert back to original OS.

geek_shinedog, Aug 4, 12:23 pm

Thanks shinedog. Know a bit but not a lot didn't think of doing that.

geek_missrat, Mar 31, 4:04 pm

Share this thread