Interesting Win 10 Serial Notes

After upgrading 5 machines to Win10 I have had a reasonably look into how it handles authentication. Using JellyBean, It showed that OEM Home upgraded machines all had the same CD Key (YTMG3-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-8HVX7-
) and OEM Pro upgraded had another Key (VK7JG-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-3V66T-
). Looking a bit deeper, and using a program called ProduKey instead, I found a second key identified as Internet Explorer and this was the same as the previous O/S key used on the system. And because this key was an OEM key, it won't relate to the COA if still in the original condition.
I then tried a fresh install on an XP machine. Using a Pro ISO, when I got to the Serial Input, I first put an OEM Win7 Key in and it rejected it. This is what I expected. I then used the Generic Win10 Pro key (as above) and it accepted it and continued with the install, but it failed online authentication.

On another machine (Dell Desktop), I installed Win 7 Pro and used a Windows7 activator to activate it. I then used a Win10 pro ISO and ran the upgrade. This Installed fine but required authentication and although not able to be Authenticated, buzzed away nicely for a Pentium P4 3GHZ with 1GB RAM.
So, I then reformatted the HDD and installed Windows 7 home, authenticated it (legally) and updated it and waited until the invite came up and clicked accept. It then went away and came back that said upgrading wasn't possible as the machine's cpu and ram were insufficient. Very strange as it was running win 10 pro a few hours prior, unless there is a major difference between Home and Pro or it's the Invitation process that overrides it, I'm not sure. I will try it with another HDD and use a Home ISO and see what happens. My experiences so far.

geek_d.snell, Aug 6, 8:27 pm

I installed W10 home onto a steam-powered, old HP laptop.
Was slow to install. got messages like. This is taking longer than expected.

I bought the lappy with no os (originally an XP machine) installed with an old vista home, then upgraded to w7 home from a torrent site and now to w10.
This old girl has seen some action - running sweetly but only surf on it but really it's a last stop back-up machine.

geek_fishb8, Aug 7, 7:40 am

d.snell: On those that weren't activated, try joining the insider program. I couldn't get the VK7JG-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-3V66T to activate from a clean hdd install, and had to install a previous build (10074) first, which, when I upgraded 10074 using the 10240 build, accepted the key and activated.

Seems like OEM upgrades are causing some issues, whereas updates from Retail versions of qualifying products are going smoothly.

geek_duggin, Aug 7, 11:03 am

Solved Dell Desktop not compatible problem. Obvious in hindsight.
When I originally changed it from XP to Win7, I used a Win Pro Disk that was supplied as part of the Refurbisher's Program to replace Vista Pro and Ultimate with Win7 Pro. So I installed Win 7 Pro and patched it with Windows 7 Activator and ran the Win10 Upgrade and even though Authentication failed, it upgraded and worked well.
I then reformatted the Machine and installed Win 7 Home, as I had a legitimate version and could activate it. Same thing except didn't need to patch it as I had the genuine key. Ran the Win 10 upgrade and it failed with CPU isn't compatible (no LAHF/SAHF or PrefetchW support) and insufficient RAM (2GB Needed). Arghhh! Tried removing the GWX system in case the install was reading that, no different. Tried booting to the ISO, still failed.
But problem solved, of course, it was the difference between 32 and 64 bit versions. The Win 7 Pro from the Refurbisher's Program is 32bit, therefore all upgrades followed that path. The Home was 64bit and so was the Win 10 upgrade. So, reinstalled Win 7 Home as 32bit, authenticated it and upgrade to Win 10, works perfectly.

geek_d.snell, Mar 17, 3:24 am

Share this thread