Copy protected photo, how to unprotect it? Page 1 / 2

cjdnzl, Jan 18, 1:37am
Doesn't matter. All digital cameras attach 'exif data' to each image, recording things like date, time, exposure settings, ISO speed, and other data. Some even record gps data for where the camera was when the shot was taken.
Professional and higher end amateur cameras can shoot in 'raw' mode, as against the more usual jpeg mode and that option is recorded as well.
Possession of the original is determined by the exif data. Whever an image is processed by software like Photoshop or other image editing programs, you can elect to save the subsequent image without the exif data. A digital image with no exif data is a giveaway that you don't own the image or the copyright, conversely, the image with exif data, specially a raw image can be proof that you do own (or stole!) the image.

justinian1, Jan 18, 8:32am
Of course under NZ copyright law a professional photographer does not automatically own the copyright in images they take. The default is that the commissioner of the photograph owns it. Although it is possible to contract out of that provision.

eurekarika, Jan 12, 6:50am
I went to an event where the person hosting it had hired a professional photographer. She posted the shots on instagram but for some bizarre reason has taken ownership of the photo's! They are protected so no one can copy them. Any way around this? I tried to take a photo of the photo but it looks crap! Disappointing as I'm unphotogenic but my shots look good for once, & I can't get a copy of them! If you right click to save as, it won't let youl Also annoying is that I paid to go to her event re the entrance fee so you'd think at least I could access the photo's.

gibler, Jan 12, 6:55am
are you trying to avoid paying for them. ?

r.g.nixon, Jan 12, 6:58am
Disable javascript and try again.

mr-word, Jan 12, 1:13pm
https://www.flickr.com/creativecommons/

Talk to the photographer about changing the licenses in the photos since you are the subject in the photos.

cookee_nz, Jan 12, 5:22pm
When the photo you want is displayed, press Alt + PrtScrn to copy the entire window to your clipboard, then open MS Paint and paste the clipboard in. Final step is to crop out the background and then save the image. Easy-peasy. Won't work very well if the image is only a thumbnail but if you are happy with how it comes up on the site then should be ok.

As for charging, you can 'access' (ie view them), but the photographer owns the copyright so of course they have 'ownership', nothing new in that. Your payment to the event is no different to going to a movie, doesn't give you any right to the movie. But yes, because you are the subject, if you did not agree to this you might have a claim, but that may simply result in them being taken offline. How much will it cost to just buy the ones you want?

lythande1, Jan 12, 6:47pm
Bizarre reason? It's her living, why should she allow people to steal her work?
You want a copy, then pay her.

ross1970, Jan 12, 7:18pm
Is the photographer paying a royalty to all the people in the photographs she's making a profit from?

gyrogearloose, Jan 12, 8:00pm
But you can access the photos, they're on Instagram!

The reason the photo's of you look good, as compared to your usual unphotogenic photo's, is that they were taken by a professional photographer with very expensive equipment and years of training.

Are there no contact details or 'Buy Now' button to allow you to purchase the photo legally rather than stealing the photographers copyright?

valentino, Jan 13, 4:06am
I just use the Snipping Tool and save it to whatever you want.

Just be wary though whatever you use, the size of photo will be restrictive, more so the quality is lessen as you increase the size.

Even if you use CTRL & + to increase before copying.

Best to locate the photographer and ask an email copy be sent to you.

mr-word, Jan 13, 5:58am

socram, Jan 13, 6:44am
I am not sure if copyright law has changed, but if a photographer takes a photograph, they normally own the copyright.

But, as I understand it, it also gets complicated, as there are venues and events where even if you take your own photographs, you may be charged a licence fee, or, you are still not allowed to publish or use the photographs for gain. Seems odd.

There again, if you pay a photographer to come along to an event, you have to be quite clear as to what you are actually paying them for. Does the fee include a set of proofs, or a set of images on disc and the copyright or not?

It appears that copyright law in terms of pics is a bit of a minefield as generally, you can't normally use a picture of someone else without their permission either! If someone can shed some light in this, I for one would be pleased.

I found one of my pics used in a magazine advert in an internationally available magazine last year and they effectively tried to tell me that I didn't have permission to take the pic (of a race car - back in 1970) anyway.

valentino, Jan 13, 7:09am
I was once told that the photographer has full rights to protect any photos that they take, but if published and someone copy's it then make from it before the photographer can copyright it then the photographer can lose out, hence photographers who know this will protect all photos taken before exposing, publishing, any photos given as an album or as a collection or anything as such. Meaning if someone hires a Photographer then they will only get copies of photos that was agreed in the initialising of the contract or agreement. Even when film was being used, the film remains with the photographer and the film was also proof of copyright whereas digital is different but generally similar rules. One will noticed that watermarks or similar things are now used.

intrade, Jan 13, 7:36am
if its on the net then you can copy it maybe not if you have windows would not surprise me that.

emmerson1, Jan 14, 8:54am
If any of them signed model releases and contracts that specify royalties, then they probably are - so you are right, by enforcing the copyright, their rights are protected too. Excellent!
If the people were not hired as models, and were at the event for their own reasons, then no. As far as I know, as long as they are not being misrepresented, and had no expectation of privacy, then they have no automatic rights regarding images of them.

eurekarika, Jan 15, 6:22am
They aren't for sale!

eurekarika, Jan 15, 6:22am
Thanks so much! I will give it a try.

eurekarika, Jan 15, 6:25am
It's not her work, she's not a photographer. It was her book launch that we paid to go to as it was also a networking thing. She had her photo taken with everyone there (about 100 people), yet took ownership of our images! I don't think anyone would have had their photo taken if they knew she was going to do that. I found it self important on her part, and weird. Some people didn't even want a photo with her, but you kind of couldn't get into the event unless you had your photo taken with her!

eurekarika, Jan 15, 6:26am
He was paid by her, so I don't think he'll listen to anyone else, but I'm not sure it's legal anyway, for people to copy protect photo's of you when you didn't give permission.

tillsbury, Jan 15, 6:26am
Absolutely not true. There is no such thing as "before they can copyright it". Copyright in a photograph belongs to the photographer from the moment they press the shutter. They might have contracts transferring it to someone else either before or after, of course.

eurekarika, Jan 15, 6:27am
No. But she's not exactly making a profit from them. She is using them as a marketing tool though, to show how supposedly popular she is!

tillsbury, Jan 15, 6:27am
Also absolutely not true. Most things on the Internet are copyright. Don't assume they aren't unless it's made clear on the page.

eurekarika, Jan 15, 6:31am
I never gave consent to copyright and there is no option to buy them so how dare you say I'm stealing anything. Yes I know the equipment, etc is why the photo's look good. What's your point? Also they were just snapshots at the event, there was no "set up" like taking photo's of a model or anything! He just had a more expensive camera than a regular person, there was no lighting or camera assistant holding up a reflector, or anything like that, if that's what you're thinking.

I think this lady holding the event just likes to feel self important as she also hired a security guard, even though the people at her event were all well behaved professionals! I thought that was so hilarious. The guard was a teenage girl who walked amongst us the whole time eyeing us up & down suspiciously, especially if you picked up your bag off the ground or walked past with one on your shoulder! Gasp! You might be stealing it from the person next to you!

tillsbury, Jan 15, 7:03am
You don't have to. Copyright isn't something you get to grant. It belongs to the photographer. If you'd like a copy of a photograph that someone else has taken, just ask them. They might give you one, they might sell you one, or they might say no. How hard is that?

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)