Laptop. requiring password everytime he needs to

log on.
This question is on behalf of a friend. They have recently bought a laptop. windows 8.1.
He reckons everytime he turns on he has to enter his password. how does he get rid of this so that it just fires up without the password. thanks !

geek_henneth, Jun 4, 9:15 pm

Not recommended, but possible. Try asking Uncle Google. He is sure to know.

geek_r.g.nixon, Jun 4, 9:19 pm

Why not recommended ?. laptop is just at home and only him using it ?

geek_henneth, Jun 4, 9:21 pm

That's fine then if it is never taken anywhere, and friends don't visit and decide to post silly things on his FB page when he isn't looking, or bid on something on Trademe.

geek_r.g.nixon, Jun 4, 10:12 pm

Each of those services has its own login. No need for a general windows login provided you dont have the the "remember me" ticked.

On shared or potentially able to be shared computers, individual login's for individual programmes like FB and TM are 100% a must.

Our grandchildren hop onto our computers all the time and if we had windows login's for each (six of them) it would not make sharing a computers as easy.

So we take responsibility to not have the "remember me" initiated, making the computers easier for others to use.

geek_grb235, Jun 5, 5:38 am

windows 8 tries mighty hard to get you to use an online account, to get rid of the password you probably have to change the account to a local one, and then remove the password.

geek_black-heart, Jun 5, 8:12 am

Or you can just enable Guest account for the kids and visitors to use. Stop em from installing games and random toolbars and what not. Also stop visitors from snooping around your files.

geek_rz_zone, Jun 5, 10:43 am

problem with a local account is that if you forget the password, you will need to reinstall windows from scratch. Also, you need a MS account to use the Apps Store.
Far easier is to use a MS account, and then change the way you log in. I change from a password to an easy pin number 1111 for example and then turn off the security that requires a password when waking up and change the lid switch to sleep, that way my laptop is only 2 secs away from powering up to the desktop. And I have the benefit of a MS account as well.

geek_d.snell, Jun 5, 4:20 pm

thats not true. and you don't even have to have a password.

geek_black-heart, Jun 5, 6:17 pm

No you don't need a password, but if you have one, It's no where as easy as it was under XP/Vista/7 to break it. I know anything is possible, but at what price? Also, as I said, you will not be able to download a lot of apps from the store unless you have an MS account, so why complicate it and try to use windows without one. If you are a Conspiracy Theorist then don't use windows, you have that choice.

geek_d.snell, Jun 5, 8:07 pm

lol yeah that must be it I'm a conspiracy theorist ! haha. And yes its just as easy, lol the exact same free bootdisk works. you might have to change bios settings to do with UEFI, otherwise identical.

geek_black-heart, Jun 5, 9:58 pm

you can have a local account with no password and then sign into the apps you need individually using a MS account - nothing difficult about that

geek_king1, Jun 5, 10:02 pm

Which means you will have to have a MS account anyway, so why not use that to sign in with from the getgo?
Seems pointless having to sign in multiple times to stop having to sign in once. No logic whatsoever. Also with the MS account signed in, you get an element of synchronisation between different devices using the same account. Why wouldn't you use it? Seems the only reason given is the "anti Microsoft brigade" and they are just nutters wearing tinfoil hats anyway.

geek_d.snell, Jun 6, 1:28 pm

I honestly don't know anyone who uses the apps from appstore, so your entire premise for wanting a ms account rather than local seems irrelevant to me.

geek_black-heart, Jun 6, 1:35 pm

Well, just because you don't know many people, doesn't mean there aren't. I know heaps that use the store and with the advent of 10, more and more will be using it every day.

geek_d.snell, Jun 6, 1:38 pm

OP asked the question - whether it is illogically or impractical to you or me is irrelevant. It is a way to achieve what they want.

I do tend to agree with black-heart though, i see bugger all people using the windows apps. Maybe in time, who knows

geek_king1, Jun 6, 3:18 pm

The general feeling is that the app store is a scabby wart on the OS that they like to navigate around, and install real programs.

geek_black-heart, Jun 6, 8:08 pm

no, that's your opinion.
As a professional, I like to advise my customers all the available options and explain the pro's and con's for each option, and then let them make a choice that suits them and then do my best to implement that choice.
I tend to leave personal preferences out of it. Whether I think the app store is good or is rubbish is irrelevant, but if you really need to know, I think the Apps on the store, like software from other sources, are a complete mixture from brilliant to utter crap.

geek_d.snell, Sep 12, 9:59 am

Share this thread