Fibre to house - how does the cabling work?

I looked at Sparks website, and it looks like *if you are lucky* they might be able to put the fibre through the outside ducting for the standard copper line.
Then there is a termination box probably on the outside of the house.
Then there is another box inside the house - I assume the modem.
How do these two boxes connect? Do they go via the internal phone wiring, or are they supposed to be wired together as part of the install (via Fibre)?
Reason I ask is because I don't want to hack the house up to get fibre - if they can use existing wiring that's ok. Otherwise will just go VDSL or whatever it's called. Concrete floor and two story, so difficult to add cabling !
Thanks.

geek_extrayda, Feb 10, 4:37 am

copper is dead jim. dead.

geek_gibler, Feb 10, 5:24 am

Fiber from the street to the accommodation front wall.
Through the wall to the inside & direct to another box which does the translation of fiber signal to std network protocols.
From that to a "fiber/vdsl" capable router
THEN
To any number of network switches/ computers that you want to connect up to.
Your router will have wireless as well as std network/ethernet connections

geek_mrfxit, Feb 10, 5:35 am

You just need to choose the PERMANENT location for the fiber converter box inside the house. (on an outside wall for concrete floor)

geek_mrfxit, Feb 10, 5:37 am

Ours just had a small box on the outside of the house with another box inside just through the wall. The one outside is very inconspicuous and on the outside of the garage wall (internal access) and the wall mounted unit is in the garage as that's where we wanted it. Just one small hole drilled through the wall into the house I think. Definitely no mess.

geek_nadznz, Feb 10, 5:52 am

Thanks everyone.
Just wanted to clarify that (which it has). Ideally I wanted the box to be behind the TV / DVD, but the garage suggestion would work (outside phone line terminates on the garage wall. Could run the cable across the garage roof to get closer to the house. I miss my house that had under floor space - so much easier to install things !

geek_extrayda, Feb 10, 6:09 am

There are actually three units. Outside will be the FTP (fibre termination point), usually this will be very close to the existing incoming copper ETP (Ext. Term. Point.) Fibre from the nearest street unit will be taken to the FTP. Then there is the ONT which translates the fibre signal into an electrical signal. A section of internal fibre will be spliced in and run from the FTP to the ONT. Then you have your Router (modem) which connects to the ONT via standard Cat6 cable. Ideally you want the ONT as close to your main Internet usage device as you can. In new homes it is common to have the ONT in the garage and use new Network wiring to connect to the Roiuter which can be anywhere you like. Yoiu cannot use your old existing telephone twisted pair wiring. I would suggest you get it done while its free, the quality of the install will come down to the skill and flexibility of the actual install team. Some will go all out to help you, others will do only the bare minimum and even that begrudgingly!

geek_cookee_nz, Feb 10, 6:14 am

You will probably be charged for any extra wiring (Cat6) needed than the bare minimum. I think its about 2-3 mtrs at max for free they will run the Cat6 from the ONT to your router. That is, if you put the ONT in the garage you will either be charged or need to run Cat6 youself to get it to the lounge. If you have not got network wiring throughout your house I suggest you get it behind the TV if they are prepared to run it there for you for free esp if it can be done nice and neat.

geek_houdeane, Feb 10, 7:52 am

hhmm more to think about.
Currently the router (wireless) is of the top floor of the house, about as far away from the TV as it could be. Everything works ok even as it is (until more than one person hits the internet at least then it drags down).
Might end up putting the ONT in the garage and the Router (assuming wireless) there too. Eventual plan to more the router to a better place in the house. There is no way I can get cabling done in the house without causing damage. Everything in the house is currently only wireless.

geek_extrayda, Feb 10, 8:14 am

Wireless is a poor choice. In the future Sky will shift their service to radio over fibre and any decoder will need to be connected to ONT via a copper run. Modern TVs and Apple TVs/Fire TV etc also require connecting to Internet for Netflix, HuluPlus, Amazon Prime etc., and streaming media from ones own DLNA servers for which wireless is poorly suited - 4K streams may run in excess of 40 Mbps (I think Netflix are using 25 Mbps with only 8 bit sampling).

In 5 years or so wireless will shift to 60 GHz to cater for the higher bitrates (uncompressed full HD runs at 1.5 Gbps, 4K at 6 Gbps) but 60 GHz doesn't go through walls so you need an access point in each room - typically on ceiling cabled to central point.

Chorus procedure is to install ONT/Router behind TV (in houses with no structured cabling) to save Sky a big hassle in the future. Note: Sky won't do any data cabling. Many people put router in garage and find their wireless doesn't cover the house and certainly can't carry streamed video services without glitches.

geek_spyware, Feb 10, 8:30 am

have noticed quite alot of your posts you seem to turn a innocent question / comment into GEEK congrats , but for the average person - its rather annoying

geek_trade_menow, Feb 10, 8:39 am

Zero interest in SKY. Trialing 12 months free lightbox - which works fine on the IPAD at the opposite end of the house and one floor down from our budget router. More interested in generl internet watching / TV on demand / being able to run a few connections at once with reasonable speed
Having the router in the garage would be through an internal wall, but other than that, within 10 metres of where the TV is (and computer and where we spend most of our time on wireless devices).
I would really like to connect the TV directly, but it isn't going to be possible where it is - unless we have the fibre run under our driveway and about another 30 metres around the house - now that I say it, that might be worth a bit more consideration. It would then end up under the stairs (large storage space), right behind where the TV is.
Thanks again everyone for suggestions / advice before I call Spark.

geek_extrayda, Feb 10, 8:59 am

If you are relying on Wifi you should aim for the Router to be as central as possible to get a good spread to the rooms that need it. If you are very lucky, it's sometimes possible to use existing phone wiring as a draw-wire to pull new cabling through the same route but not if there are 90 degree turns through dwangs etc. Still worth having them come and scope your house, you'll be surprised the tricks and techniques used and what can be done with the right tools. And possibly also worth asking a data-cabler or electrician with those skills to give you a quote.

geek_cookee_nz, Aug 28, 3:06 am

Share this thread