Early 2011 Macbook Pro graphic card died

nealeb, Feb 23, 1:26am
I contacted Apple and they agreed to supply a replacement logic board free of charge, however I had to pay the labour of $180. The Macbook was repaired a couple of weeks ago and is now a Happy Mac.

I've just discovered that Apple have finally bitten the bullet on this issue and started an Repair Extension Progamme on these faulty MacBook Pros:
https://www.apple.com/au/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

This means they will also reimburse my labour repair costs.

Yaay!

nealeb, Jan 1, 4:37am
Hi all. My early 2011 15" Macbook Pro had it's discrete graphic card fail a couple of weeks ago. Now a very sad Mac which will only boot in Target Firewire mode, and occasionally in Hardware test mode.

I'm looking at requesting a partial refund from the original supplier, benchmarked on what the current resale value would be for a Macbook Pro of similar vintage (but not one of the cursed AMD graphic card models).

Has anyone got suggestions on how to approach this? And any links to cases where New Zealanders have successfully gained compensation.

suicidemonkey, Jan 1, 4:49am
CGA may cover it. You'd probably have to lodge a dispute. 4 years is pushing it.

gibler, Jan 1, 5:22am
It is pretty scandalous the NVIDIA failure in macbook pros.

tillsbury, Jan 1, 6:48am
This is a recognised issue and I believe that Apple has now agreed to replace failing 2011 MBPs. You will certainly be covered under the CGA in New Zealand for this. I'm assuming you purchased from a reputable supplier in NZ? If so, go there directly and make sure you don't get fobbed off. Google for this issue to get backup information. 4 years is entirely reasonable for a quality laptop bearing in mind existing precedent in NZ CGA law.

You are not entitled to a partial refund. You are entitled to get Apple to fix the product, which is likely to be a new logic board.

wickedtrader, Jan 1, 7:16am
Use gfxCardStatus to boot using only the integrated GPU using this method

http://www.asyncro.com/2014/03/24/macbook-pro-discreate-graphics-card-issue-fix-updated/ Use this link if the one above doesn't work
http://is.gd/gfxcardstatus

suicidemonkey, Jan 1, 10:02am
Under the CGA, the retailer has the option to choose between refund/repair/replacement. They'll probably replace the faulty component.

gibler, Jan 1, 10:19am
Not if the fault is serious .

suicidemonkey, Jan 1, 10:45am
See the bit where I said "probably"?

Depends on a number of factors. I've had a couple of Macbooks repaired for various reasons. Both times they replaced the motherboard. It's cheaper than refunding or replacing.

ryanm2, Jan 1, 7:34pm
Apple dont make quality products at all. My friends are Apple fanboys and I do agree their stuff syncs great, its innovative and just works great. However, every laptop they have owned has had faults. Chassis coming away, hinges broken, trackpads broken, batteries failing, hardware issues etc etc. If you have a look on trademe for a secondhand mac (like i have as have always wanted one , currently looking at getting an Air) more than not they have issues.

yellowsubmarine, Jan 2, 10:55am
I would imagine apple would of made a new revision of the board that resolves the issue (I would hope they did anyway)

nealeb, Jan 2, 9:04pm
I've had my share of problems with Apple laptops (since my first in 1999), however it's probably similar to what people experience with any other manufacturer. Because Apple is so popular we get to hear more bitching and groaning about their failures than with the others.

One of the problems with laptops is that the manufacturers are on the bleeding edge of making them faster, more compact and loaded with new technologies ??

schizoid, Jan 3, 2:19am
So your Macbook lasted close to 4 years? Not an ideal amount of time, but surely this is acceptable enough from a warranty or CGA standpoint. To me this just sounds like a loss you'll have to suck up and accept. There's probably a reason you can only buy a warranty up to a 3 year period.

nealeb, Jan 3, 3:31am
Exactly 3 years, 3 months & 3 weeks. Did the final RIP on 19th December.

tillsbury, Jan 3, 5:39pm
Not for a MBP it isn't. Plenty of people using 2007-2009 Macbook pros happily. They are being repaired, do some googling.

nealeb, Jul 13, 9:22pm
The MacBook Pro cost $2997 in 2011. It was a top of the line machine and I expected it to last a long time.

If on the other hand it was a cheap & cheerful $600 HP I wouldn't be loosing any sleep over it dying.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)