How to change Win Update options in Win 10?

At the moment my Windows Update is set to download and install automatically, which I dont want it doing. According to many web pages, I should be able to change this setting but I have no options to do so. I have no 'change options' link in the left pane on the Update page.
I have tried using Winaero Tweaker to change it to "download but let me choose. " but that hasnt made any difference.
I have also tried using the regedit method shown here:
http://tinyurl.com/oclo5u6
But that also made no difference. I dont seem to have any way of getting to the 'change settings' options shown at the top of that web page. And I also cant do the group policy edit method as shown because when I try to run gpedit.msc, I get a message saying Windows cannot find it.
Any idea how I can change this setting please?

geek_datoofairy, Aug 2, 10:45 am

There is no way of changing it at the moment, i have not got win 10 yet like a lot of others so haven't had a look see.

geek_wayne416, Aug 2, 10:53 am

I can disable the windows update and background intelligent transfer services on mine. That should prevent any updating.

Computer management -> services

geek_king1, Aug 2, 10:59 am

There are numerous websites showing that you can, with screenshots and instructions showing how to do it, and comments for people saying it worked for them. I just cant get it to work for me, as I dont have some of the options these other people are using, and I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly anyway.
I dont want Microsoft being able to download and install what ever crap they want, when ever they feel like it. If I cant find a way to stop this, I will uninstall 10 and go back to 8.1.

geek_datoofairy, Aug 2, 11:01 am

I guess thats an option, although I dont want to disable all updates, I just want to have control over when they happen and what I download and install.

geek_datoofairy, Aug 2, 11:03 am

I run Comodo firewall and maybe able to block it that way, quick and easy if i can. I have always installed updates but dont like them downloading in background as if using dialup it kills it or mobile data just gets blown away. Silly idea and a lot of users want it changed.

geek_wayne416, Aug 2, 11:09 am

You can only control updates on the Pro SKU not Home

Anyway you shouldn't be doing this - if you are asking the question then you don't know enough to manage your own updates.

geek_vtecintegra, Aug 2, 11:18 am

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one, but thanks for your input all the same :o)

geek_datoofairy, Aug 2, 11:30 am

Just allow it to download. It's pretty good and very much like Win 7, and you have the option for 30 days to roll your PC back to Win 7 if you don't like 10.

geek_skyblue17, Aug 2, 12:25 pm

click the action centre link on the task bar. it's left of the eng link
now click on all settings. a list of options will appear,, click on update and security link. you will see check for update and advanced options. click on advanced options. you will see a choose how updates are delivered link. i think you can turn off the auto update here,,

geek_aktow, Aug 4, 4:19 am

you know theres a reason they arnt allowing home users to disable updates right, something along the lines of protecting people from themselves :)

geek_csador, Aug 4, 1:58 pm

As opposed to protecting themselves from Microsoft?

Not everyone has a connection that supports the data overhead of constant updates. So far Windows 10 has had rather a lot of them.

geek_morticia, Aug 4, 3:32 pm

Just bad luck for us. Unfortunately MS can't build their worldwide operating system around New Zealand's pathetic archaic and over priced Internet system.

geek_d.snell, Aug 4, 4:00 pm

So we turn it off just like previous versions.

geek_morticia, Aug 4, 4:02 pm

let us know when you find out how to do that on the 'home' version eh

geek_nice_lady, Aug 4, 5:19 pm

I don't have the home version so I can't. In Professional I used services.msc and disabled the service.

geek_morticia, Mar 29, 10:06 pm

Share this thread