Electric fences disrupting ADSL?

bluecambridge, Oct 28, 5:22am
Hi all, does anyone out there have any experience of an electric fence interfering with ADSL? And if so, what steps can be taken to fix this? I strongly suspect our neighbour's electric fence is disrupting out ADSL - we can here it clicking on the phone and our download speeds dropped dramatically round about the time they hooked the fence up. Any help greatly appreciated!

spyware, Oct 28, 5:55am
Get a wireless service via http://www.amuri.net/ or similar.

bluecambridge, Oct 28, 6:13am
Yes I had thought of that but would rather try to fix the problem if I can. Wireless service isn't really practical for me due to high cost and small data caps

spyware, Oct 28, 6:26am
It isn't fixable.

bluecambridge, Oct 28, 6:31am
OK, that's a bummer. Thanks for the link to amuri, their plans aren't actually too bad, wish we had fibre though, the data caps on the wireless plans are too small :-(

brapbrap8, Oct 28, 7:37am
What causes it?
I am a farmer and have ADSL, the lines run through my farm and neighbours, all with powerful electric fences and no phone or internet performance issues.

bluecambridge, Oct 28, 7:49am
That's interesting. You don't hear clicking on the phone at all? Is it caused by a bad earth on the electric fence or something in the way it is set up?

black-heart, Oct 28, 7:56am
Yes its the fence, and ticking on the phone line I think is a short in the fence to ground. where the copper wires are for the phone.

brapbrap8, Oct 28, 7:58am
No we never hear any clicking, the lines always sound good.
I wonder if there is damage to the phone line somewhere and the current going to the earth of the fence unit may be getting into the phone line?
I would ask your phone company and get them to investigate.

bluecambridge, Oct 28, 8:13am
brapbrap - yes a good idea I will ask Slingshot if they can help. That's interesting that you never hear any clicking on you phone - gives me hope that I can sort this.
black-heart - so if the fence is set up properly there should be no interference? A bad earth or maybe the fence is shorting to ground via some long grass or something?

black-heart, Oct 28, 8:35am
As far as I'm aware, yes the fence wiring will be the cause of the problem.

ianab, Oct 28, 8:37am
The issue is usually due to faults in the fence, basically shorts to ground like broken insulators or vegetation. This draws much more current from the fence controller to maintain the voltage, and that generates more interference with the phone lines. You may also notice it's worse in the wet weather, because that makes the shorts worse.

So the only real fix is to encourage the neighbour to do some maintenance on the fence, especially where it follows the phone lines along any boundaries etc.

If you can walk along the fence, and hear it clicking, that's a fault, and is contributing to your problems. May be weeds growing up the fence, broken insulator, stick leaning on the fence etc.

Another test would be to ask your neighbour to switch his fence off for 10 mins or so. See if the problem goes away.

wenpen, Oct 28, 8:56am
Ask the farmer to sink another couple of earth rods, preferably in a wet area (bottom of a drain or by a water course). Plus what #12 says.

intrade, Oct 28, 10:25am
talk to the naigbour to earth his fence better. ?

mazdasix, Oct 28, 12:36pm
shine the bat symbol into the sky, batman will help, don't fear.

bluecambridge, Oct 28, 3:57pm
Thanks everybody for your help and advice! I'll see what I can sort out with the neighbour :-)

lythande1, Oct 28, 6:39pm
No.
On dial up modems, yes.
Cured by getting adsl.

tintop, Oct 28, 7:50pm
The clicking is caused by an earth current - between somewhere on the fence line shorting to earth and travelling back to the earth pin at the electric fence unit.

Ask the neighbour to turn the fence off for a bit - check for clicking then.

If that stops it, an electric fence tester can be used to quickly locate where where earth short is, otherwise walking along the fence line to check for shorts at fence insulators ( small flashes that can be seen at night, or heard quite easily) or another problem is vegetation, either long grass or hanging branches can also cause the problem.

A more difficult fault to find is underground cables at gate openings or farm track crossings where the cable placing has been poorly carried out.

An electric fence tester will be needed to check these.

A tester that indicates both line voltage and current direction can be used to rapidly find the fault. The arrow on the tester display points in the direction of the earth fault.

tintop, Oct 28, 8:01pm
I had the same problem, I rang Vodafone help centre ( that at that time was in Egypt)

As well as the usual language and accent problems - the operator was confused by the loud clicking. I tried to explain - that it was the clicking that I was complaining about. I said that it was caused by an electric fence close by. There was a wee intake of breath, and a silence. Ha! I had an immediate visualization of the picture in her mind - Guard towers, search lights, barbed wire, electric fences!

tintop, Oct 28, 8:05pm
Not generally a faulty earth fault at the fencing unit - its is more probable that it is an earth current between an earth fault on the fence line and the unit earth pin.

Further to #18, a portable radio, switched to the AM band, but not tuned to a station will receive the clicks too. Can be used to walk the fence line, the clicks get louder as you get closer.

nzoomed, Oct 29, 1:26am
I see a few people with clicking electric fences on their phone line and it does not affect their ADSL at all! lol
One person had a very loud clicking with their phone and they ended up switching to VOIP and that fixed the clicking noise! lol

So i dont know if it can be said that it affects the ADSL in all cases.

With dial up it would have been an issue back in the day i expect.

tintop, Oct 29, 2:52am
In my case it was. Chorus spent days going up and down the road, checking all the electric fences. Dial up would just not work.

Only cell phone provider in range was Vodafone, 2G, and right on the limit for range even with a wok as a reflector behind the Vodem and eye wateringly expensive - and slow. Worst part was not being able to track the data use, there was a period on the Vf forum where there was huge dis-satisfaction with Vf about the service they provided. Over-run data was something like 15 cents a mb. ( $150 mb! )

Oh how things have changed - Thank you 2 Degrees :)

dishd, Nov 4, 6:07pm
it may not be just an earth fault on the electric fence, and it may not be one electric fence causing the problem but several along the route of the chorus cable. The chorus cable may be, (correction "will be") out of balance so far, that induction from the electric fence running parallel with the chorus cable will pick up the pulsing of the electric fence. A faultman could spend a decade trying to track down and remedy the fault ( yea right like thats goin to happen). There are some patch up remedy's that can reduce or eleviate the problem. When I worked for Telecom, a noise choke (coil) was the farmers and faultmans best friend, placed in the right position (usually in the PCM cab or UAX exchange betweem the EN and cable pair), wa la clicking noise gone! Well not really, just the clicking noise attenuated to a lower audible level. Those days are gone now and the faultman of today probably have never heard of a noise choke. My suggestion, throw it back to your provider as they are not providing you with the service promised. Good Luck

shinedog, Jul 18, 4:29am
Spark is rolling out 4g RBI in some rural areas, we have been on it for about 2 months now and just flying along, our old adsl was often around dial-up speeds (congested lines) and now around +/- 25Mbps, same price and 3 times more data and the best part is we have done away with "Chours" ie NO more line problems in a rural area.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)