Is Win8 really that bad ?

In process of upgrading a laptop- some advise is to stay with Win7 - and maybe go for Win7 Pro- Is Win 8 that bad - and just a transition o/s that will soon be upgraded?

geek_apollo77, Mar 3, 10:34 pm

Win7, 8 & 8.1 will get free upgrade to win 10 when it's released later this year, so doesn't really matter what you do today. 8.1 is perfectly ok. I use it all the time and when I have to go back to an earlier O/S, don't really notice the difference.

geek_d.snell, Mar 3, 10:42 pm

Windows 8 will lead to 8.1 and on to 10 at which time win 7 will begin to show whiskers.

geek_wayne416, Mar 3, 10:43 pm

Stay with 7 until a few months after 10 is released. Win 8.1 is safer & faster than Win 7. I expect Win 10 will improve slightly on that.

geek_r.g.nixon, Mar 3, 10:59 pm

While all of the above posts are correct, as yet nobodyknows what kind of upgrades from what OS's can be done. WIn 8 we guess is going to be inplace, but 7 might be a forced clean install.

geek_black-heart, Mar 3, 11:43 pm

Bad. it's really a tablet O/S. I would wait for Win 10, it's not far off.

geek_lythande1, Mar 4, 7:06 am

Win8 has been perfect for me for several years. I started early, with the Developers Preview version. First thing was to install ClassicShell, ha!

geek_r.g.nixon, Mar 4, 7:32 am

Thanks for the reply
Free upgrade- Is that a given ? Or just best guess?

geek_apollo77, Mar 4, 7:49 am

Excuse the ignorance- Classic Shell?

geek_apollo77, Mar 4, 7:50 am

Classic Shell is a free download that gives a choice of start menus. It's very good and hassle free. I prefer the XP style menu.

geek_gasaxe, Mar 4, 8:14 am

Yep Win 8 with ClassicShell is just as easy to use as Win 7 etc. Should be the first thing anybody moving to Win 8 installs.

geek_galex, Mar 4, 8:48 am

Yes, the upgrade to W10 will be offered for free for W7,W8,W8.1 users. Around October I think.

geek_r.g.nixon, Mar 4, 9:20 am

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Win8 . the biggest problem with Win8 appears to be a pebac issue.

I have 7 and 8 and have a problem with neither, nor with the transition between operating systems.

geek_therafter1, Mar 4, 10:21 am

I'm in my seventies and i got a new laptop at xmas time. I took a little time to go through win 8.1 but after some trial and error I have it sussed. I dont have classic shell so didn't take any shortcuts. I am also not a computer wizz so if I can do it most people should with a little practice

geek_dbolton, Mar 4, 6:46 pm

geek_d.snell, Mar 4, 6:55 pm

Just purchased a new computer, came with 8.1 expected all sorts of dramas, was pleasantly surprised. Didn't want a Microsoft account or any of their cloud permission etc, so everytime I clicked on a tile that demanded I enter my MS password I simple deleted that program or tile. That cleaned up a lot of fluff I couldn't be faffed with, much cleaner desktop now and a computer that works the way I want it to.

geek_gammelvind, Mar 4, 8:16 pm

8.1 is pretty good since they made it more desktop friendly, i think most people who hate it used it for about 30 seconds. I wouldnt go back to 7 now

geek_csador, Mar 4, 9:45 pm

Windows 8.1 is a Piece of crap, although i cant really fault 8 as far as reliability goes, its not very user friendly even with classic shell there is lots of things that technicians hate, getting into safe mode is one of them.

Business also hate win8, most are still using win7 and most business class computers are sold running win7.

A tablet interface is not suitable in a desktop environment, end of story.
Having to switch between two tablet interfaces is a joke, and even more so is the whole microsoft account, if only people used a local account, that would sort out so many issues too, ive seen lots of computers unable to log in if there is no internet connection because of this.

Ive seen all sorts of issues with wireless networks dropping off after windows 8.1 was updated and one customer is about to drop off a PC to me to "uninstall" 8.1 because its apparently too slow, but there are several fixes that are supposed to work like disabling certain components in device manager and the BIOS.
Anyway, some people have had to change to a USB wireless stick to find one that is 8.1 compatible.

geek_nzoomed, Mar 5, 9:25 am

Stay with Win 7 and wait for Win 10.

geek_murrayh, Mar 5, 6:43 pm

Good onya mate, nothing a bit of time and effort can't get sorted.

geek_sykotik_ninja, Mar 5, 6:51 pm

Went for Asus with Win7pro /Win8 pro option . Have bad memories of Vista ! = So will keep with Win 7 till 10 comes out - easier transition I figure .

geek_apollo77, Mar 6, 9:06 am

Windows 10 is only marginally different to 8.1, in fact if there wasn't so much internet sheep hate of Windows 8 I would expect it to have been called 8.2.

geek__drdee_, Mar 6, 11:18 am

Absolutely
I've been using PCs since early 90s
I was really used to the Windows menus as you would expect
Along came Win8 - took a little while to suss even for myself, that was mainly finding where to go to do things and how to get there, I'm not much of a tablet user - so was a little learning curve.
It can be done.
good on you.

geek_neoslowmo, Mar 6, 11:31 am

By that logic Windows 8 is only marginally different to Windows 7 - can't really agree with that.

geek_king1, Mar 6, 12:26 pm

How did you come to that conclusion?
Windows 7 and 8 have different development paths, windows 10 is on the windows 8 development path not window 7's so there is a huge amount of difference between 7 and 8 and comparatively very little between 8/8.1/10.

geek__drdee_, Mar 6, 4:07 pm

Windows 7 had a start menu
Windows 8 doesn't
Windows 10 has a start menu

development paths is meaningless to the end user, but the lack of (and subsequent return of) a start menu is. To the end user windows 10 will be back to normal.

I'm suggesting 'marginally different' is an understatement

geek_king1, Mar 6, 4:27 pm

I doubt too many people will retain windows 8 when 10 comes out, but many people will retain windows 7. Windows 10 is really windows 8 fixed, just like windows 7nwas vista fixed. The difference was that vista users didn't get a free upgrade to 7, although they were offered a cheaper upgrade to 8.

geek_mattnzw, Mar 7, 12:21 pm

So . is there a Windows 9? I'm finding it a bit strange that they're going from 8.1 to 10.

geek_cj_s, Mar 7, 1:56 pm

Windows 8 is not bad.
In Windows 8.1 they reintroduced the start menu as people were complaining.
But either way it does not change much anyway.
It does take a little while to get used to the way to navigate your way around.
But in actual fact things are a lot easier in Windows 8 or 8.1

geek_surfbluedog, Mar 7, 2:15 pm

No they didn't reintroduce the start menu, only a fixed start button button, but it was there in windows 8, just that you has to hover your mouse in the left bottom corner to see it. Windows 8 usability wise is a terrible OS unless you are using a touch screen interface. This is why it failed, and windows 10 will fix most of it's problems.

geek_mattnzw, Mar 7, 2:32 pm

Personally for me and my purposes, yes - it is. Very much so. Just like Windows 7 is worse than XP (though still bearable) due to the removal of several features. But then if you just want to use your computer for e-mail, web surfing and watching the occasional youtube video, it really doesn't matter. You can do the above on most smartphones already just as well.

geek_volkier, Mar 7, 2:42 pm

For a second I thght people were gossiping about me lol

geek_win8, Jun 1, 10:21 pm

win 8 is good compaired to 10 if the preview is anything to go by .

geek_velenski, Jun 2, 9:36 am

Win 7 laptop here just now has a background app running "Get Win 10", with option to reserve the free download. Apparently when downloaded, a notification will show advising that it's ready to install. There's a link "Learn more on windows.com" which 404s for me.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-upgrade?ocid=win10_auxapp_LearnMore_win10
I assume that the background "push" app may have been installed when I ran the Win10 compatibility check (months ago) - or it might have come via Windows updates today.
(ETA - the icon in the system tray/notification area only appeared 1/2 hour or so ago)

geek_mm12345, Jun 2, 6:40 pm

Here we go:

http://venturebeat.com/2015/05/31/microsoft-starts-prompting-windows-7-and-windows-8-users-to-reserve-their-free-windows-10-upgrade/

That's it. The notification is not showing on the Win 8.1 Surface Pro 3 here.

geek_mm12345, Jun 2, 6:58 pm

mm12345 just brought to my attention that the notification is on my win 8.1 surface pro 3

geek_tezw1, Jun 2, 7:28 pm

Although it is a bit of worry when you click on the learn more link it comes up with page not found

geek_tezw1, Jun 2, 7:31 pm

Page is up now.

geek_mm12345, Sep 25, 5:29 pm

Share this thread