Gaming PC won't turn on

4b1g, Dec 10, 7:34am
Hi, my son bought a gaming computer on here. It arrived today, we plugged it in and it doesn't turn on. A light comes on in the back so it is receiving power but doesn't start up.
Also when you press the on button it feels like it isn't doing anything.
Any clues or hints? I know nothing about computers unfortunately.
Here is its specs:
Powerful gaming desktop, only selling as I am moving and no longer have room to store.

---

CPU & COOLING:
Intel i7 930 Quad Core 8 Thread - Safely overclocked to 3.8GHz (can come at stock clock if desired)
Arctic Freezer Xtreme CPU Cooler

GRAPHICS:
Nvidia Geforce GTX 680

STORAGE:
250GB Samsung Evo 840 SSD
1TB Western Digital Black 7200RPM HDD

RAM:
12GB DDR3-1600

MOTHERBOARD:
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R

PSU:
Corsair HX750 80-Plus Gold

CASE:
Lancool DragonLord

---

P

vtecintegra, Dec 10, 7:42am
Check the power button hasn't come disconnected from the motherboard

4b1g, Dec 10, 7:47am
Have checked that thanks, it s definitely connected.

oclaf, Dec 10, 8:42am
Hard to say. How competent are you? Define "doesn't start up" are we talking no life at all? or fans spin and screen remains blank.
After transit, first thing I'd check are all the plugs and components on the motherboard are seated correctly. With no powering up at all, double check the cables from the power supply to mother board and the power button.
I'd short out the power on pins just to make sure the button isnt faulty. Where is the light you can see? In the power supply or on the motherboard?

I'd be wary of any system that the seller admits to overclocking. If done appropriately it can be OK, but it's operating outside it's design parameters and god only knows what stress it was put under before it was deemed stable. To me the word "overclocked" in a computer listing devalues it massively.

suicidemonkey, Dec 10, 8:48am
With modern hardware overclocking is pretty safe. You have to stuff it up pretty badly to do any damage. In fact with thermal throttling, I don't even know if it's possible to do damage. Not that I've ever come across anyway

4b1g, Dec 10, 8:51am
Thank you for taking the time to reply. Not computer literate at all. My son researched and chose this one.
When we say doesn't start up we mean no life at all. No fans, nothing.
The light that comes on is on the CLR CMOS.
Might wait for the man of the house to come home and short out the power.
L

lythande1, Dec 10, 6:26pm
cmos reset
turn the computer off
remove the power lead from the back
take the side off
remove the cmos battery
move the cmos jumper from pins 1 and 2 to pin 2 and 3 and the back to pins 1 and 2
reinsert the battery
put the side on
replug in the power lead
boot the computer

loose.unit8, Dec 10, 6:30pm
Is there a power switch on the back of the power supply which is turned off?

schizoid, Dec 10, 10:08pm
Only to the ignorant. Otherwise it lets you know its capabilities.

To OP, have you contacted the seller? They will probably be in the best position to help you, being familar with the gear they've sold you.

vtecintegra, Dec 10, 10:14pm
With a system that is more than 5 years old having been overclocked in the past is a bad thing

4b1g, Dec 11, 12:29am
All good now thanks, swapped the reset and start button wires and off it went ??

black-heart, Dec 11, 12:48am
If its been couriered with the graphic card installed take the cover off (while the PC is off / unplugged) and make sure it hasn't come out of its slot.

schizoid, Dec 11, 2:04am
Glad to hear it was something simple

nzoomed, Dec 11, 2:41am
Id question the ability of the builder of the computer if they got something like that wrong! lol

oclaf, Dec 11, 3:22am
I'd question their ability to overclock properly too.

nzoomed, Apr 8, 5:19pm
Exactly!
Especially that they got the power and reset buttons mixed up! lol

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)