HP Pro 3000 - Is this a good desktop?

Hi, my parents are after an everyday use desktop because the one at home is getting old (XP! ) and also getting very slow.

I'm not very good with computers but thought I'd help them to get something better than what they have now and thought I'd get some help from the forum.

I found a used formatted HP Pro 3000 on trademe which seems to have pretty good specs:

This are the specs:-
CPU speed:3 GHz
Cores:2
Memory:4 GB
Hard drive:1000 GB
Operating system: Win 7

Is this a good buy? Any tips appreciated (ie what to look for, ask or avoid on buying a desktop off trademe).

geek_sxpang, Jun 3, 8:12 pm

Depends what you're paying for it. It's a 6-7 year old machine so not going to be particularly fast. Good for the basics but I'd be looking at something a bit newer.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 3, 8:14 pm

Sounds OK. I paid $85 for those specs recently (but only a 250GB HDD)
It was one of these, auction 893837908 (and it has a better CPU than that HP you mentioned).

geek_r.g.nixon, Jun 3, 8:20 pm

The price is approx $215 - $250

geek_sxpang, Jun 3, 8:35 pm

bad price, would not buy.

geek_schizoid, Jun 3, 8:54 pm

The 19" monitor, keyboard & mouse - makes it worth another $40 more than my $85 computer. The HDD is bigger but the CPU is slower, so those cancel out. In summary, it is worth $125

geek_r.g.nixon, Jun 3, 10:57 pm

The cpu speed is the same as the one you purchased at 3 GHz . It has win7 installed, hence I thought it might be a good deal. Can cpu speed increased by purchasing something to add on or is that fixed?

geek_sxpang, Jun 4, 7:39 am

The E8400 is about 15-20% faster than the E6700 due to improved design - it's not just about the GHz. Mine had a Windows license (CoA sticker), so it was free to download and install Windows 7 Pro. It is possible to change the CPU for a faster one, in some cases - but may cost you $40+

geek_r.g.nixon, Jun 4, 7:55 am

Just keep in mind it's still 6-7 year old CPU. A 3GHz CPU from back then will be a LOT slower than a more recent 3GHz (even a 2GHz) CPU.

You can swap it out for a better one, but only of the same generation, so will still be slow compared to what you can get now.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 4, 8:06 am

Thanks for the responds.
I am still stuck in the era that you need a cd to install O/S. Usually my brother does all these pc stuff, but he is away in aussie.

r.g.nixon : Do you mind to tell me what Win 7 CoA sticker means? Does that mean you no longer need a win 7 cd for recovery/ reformat? In the auction you bought it does not have any OS installed, so how does it work? Thanks!

geek_sxpang, Jun 4, 9:06 am

Maybe you could "tidy" up their machine with a reformat and reload Win XP will restore relative speed.

What are the specs of the old machine.

geek_ceebee2, Jun 4, 9:55 am

I downloaded the Windows 7 .iso file, burned it to DVD, installed Windows 7, typed in the key-code from the CoA sticker, and activated it online.

geek_r.g.nixon, Jun 4, 9:56 am

You can also copy the iso to a USB, negating the need for a DVD, and boot from that.

geek_schizoid, Sep 19, 11:15 pm

Share this thread