Wifi - Making the most of fibre and NAS

We have upgraded from 30 megabit to 100 megabit fibre in our home and the weakest link is the wifi on our router. It's a standard issue Spark router, a Huawei HG630b. I get about 30mbps max over 802.11n (that seems a tad on the slow side for a protocol that supports up to 300mbps right?). My laptop supports 802.11n (single band). Unfortunately cables are not an option. I want to upgrade the router when I can afford to (because I have NAS and transfer reasonably large files), but in the mean time.

My first question: Is there any way to improve this speed?

My second question: In terms of a router, I was looking at a TP-Link Archer D5 and a TP-Link Archer T4U AC1200 Wireless Dual Band USB (as none of my wireless devices support 802.11ac). Am I on the right track here or are there cheaper/better devices to do this.

Thanks in advance!

geek_puddleduck00, Jun 3, 11:48 am

geek_puddleduck00, Jun 3, 11:56 am

Correction: I get about 50mbps down / 23mbps up on a speed test over wifi with full signal, or 90+mbps over ethernet.

geek_puddleduck00, Jun 3, 12:05 pm

I can't see you achieving a lot by upgrading - it will be marginal at best I would think. Too many other variables with wireless.

geek_king1, Jun 3, 12:17 pm

802.11n supports up to 288mbps on a single channel with 4 antennas, but using just one antenna you're limited to 72mbps as Puddleduck's link shows.

However, the actual download across the wifi link is limited by your internet speed, the server speed, by the latency, the packet loss and the efficiency of the TCP/IP stacks at each end and your processing power that does something with the data received off the network.

For example, you'll get a better result with linux because the efficiency of the TCP/IP stack is better than windows. And, once there's even a little bit of packet loss you're doomed, because the rate will never climb back to the maximum.

geek_gyrogearloose, Jun 3, 2:46 pm

Thanks for the info gyro. Obviously I'm maxing out my current configuration. Would there be any point in getting router and wifi dongle below:

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-15_Archer-D5.html http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-11_Archer-T4U.html

geek_puddleduck00, Jun 3, 2:55 pm

If that router supports VLAN Tagging on the WAN port then it will work. Or if you can find a Spark HG659b on trade me cheap enough (I assume you're on Spark) like: 896446453 then it's pretty much plug & play.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Jun 3, 4:03 pm

Upgrading the router should make a significant difference.
I was in the same boat as you. Moved from an HG630b to HG659b. The wifi speedtest done on my iphone has jumped from 45-48Mbps to 91-94Mbps when using the 5ghz channel rather than the 2.4ghz. So if your devices support it or you buy an adaptor for it. I'd definitely recommend it.

By the way - you dont need a modem/router (the one you linked) if you have fibre? Just a router is fine as the ONT is the modem.

geek_-cloud, Jun 4, 9:26 am

Thanks heaps for the advice guys. I am looking at getting hold of the HG659b. It seems to be the cheaper option. There are a couple of HG659s on Trade Me at the moment.

geek_puddleduck00, Jun 4, 10:26 am

There are no modems with UFB, the ONT is not a modem, it's a router(sort of).

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Jun 4, 10:40 am

If you do decide on the 659, make sure you get the HG659b as this is the Spark version. The HG659 is vodafone's and they seem to have all sorts of issues - a quick google search will confirm this.

geek_-cloud, Jun 4, 11:09 am

Good advice. Thank you.

geek_puddleduck00, Jun 4, 11:20 am

People have successfuly flashed the Vodafone version to the Spark version by just installing the firmware from the Spark website, it seems more to be a firmware issue than a hardware issue.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Jun 4, 11:48 am

if you can get the 659b recommend the 5ghz range 433mbps and its range isnt to bad either and its also got 4 1gig lan ports which is nice if your transferring large files across network :)
if you cant find 1 on here call spark but you do have to kinda nag at them about it because they like giving out the hg630b whereas the659b is free if you get there fibre 200 or any business grade plan

geek_trade_menow, Sep 18, 3:15 am

Share this thread