Chromecast

Can I download a movie . store it on my laptop HD . play it on my laptop . then thru Chromecast , transfer it to a full TV ? Thx

geek_mike16, Jun 3, 8:48 pm

Chromecast can only transmit through the Chrome browser and other certain apps. There is a free Chrome extension called Videostream which allows you to play any video from your hard drive through Chrome and then to your TV via Chromecast.

So, yes you can. Just takes an extra app or two to get it working.

I have heard rumours that the next version of VLC media player will support Chromecast - so that'll be handy.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 3, 8:59 pm

You would be better to download or transfer it to your phone and use one of the many apps to play it to the chromecast. Or set up a plex media server on your pc and play it from a plex client on your phone to the chromecast.

geek_wotz_it_2_ya, Jun 3, 10:04 pm

Yes, I use Videostream It works well.

geek_salniamh, Jun 3, 10:17 pm

Videostream has a phone app that allows you to search for a video file on the PC (if Videostream is running and linked to the phone) and play it with options to pause/restart etc from the phone. Kinda neat.

geek_mikep, Jun 3, 10:30 pm

Great . thx . I bought one today . so will be buggerizing around all night . prob miss the footy ! Thx again !

geek_mike16, Jun 6, 7:00 pm

Not too bad . better thru an HDMI cable I think though .

geek_mike16, Jun 6, 8:37 pm

Depends on your router. The Chromecast pulls the stream from the WiFi sent from the router so the closer the TV is to the router (mine is less that 2m) the better. I stream movies and music via my Chromecast and don't get any noticeable lag.

geek_mikep, Jun 6, 11:24 pm

Ok , Mike , my router is maybe 10 metres from the TV . I'll try your suggestion, thx .

geek_mike16, Jun 7, 4:41 pm

what app did you use?

geek_wotz_it_2_ya, Sep 9, 3:30 pm

Share this thread