Sky,Lightbox,mediaworks,tvnz having another sulk

geek_trade_menow, Apr 4, 4:32 pm

It's not really a sulk, it's a perfectly justifiable defense of all the money they have paid for content.

geek_loose.unit8, Apr 4, 5:05 pm

SKY can go and get stuffed.
Im not giving them any business unless they offer cheaper rates. Its not breach of copyright anyway because we are technically we are still paying for the content and its not the ISP's problem, all they are doing is offering a global DNS service to allow us to access to overseas websites, nothing illegal about that.
When SKY call or know on the door i just tell them we use (US) Netflix

geek_nzoomed, Apr 4, 5:37 pm

Yeah, suck it up Sky, you've been ripping off people for far too long.

geek_paora-tm, Apr 4, 9:22 pm

That hasn't been tested yet.

geek_vtecintegra, Apr 4, 9:26 pm

I can kind of understand where they are coming from, but TVNZ, TV3/4, and Sky should maybe look at their price structure, and what they offer (bang for the buck).
I have igloo which is part of sky, but its full of adverts, repeats repeats and more repeats. All this for $20 per month. And Im dumping it shortly.
Or I could go Netflix and have a huge variety of movies, tv shows, documentary's, etc, with no adverts, and can watch what I want when I want. All this for less than $10 per month. And no adverts.
I suggest Sky etc deliver what the people want or close up shop.
Perhaps what people watch on Netflix etc are program's that Sky and TVNZ haven't paid for. If they had, then why aren't they being shown on TV?
Usually the movies that Sky show have been on DVD for a long long time.
And most of the tv series are several seasons old too.
There is the odd exception though.
But really with Sky, Mediaworks etc, apart from sport, all other content is old and second hand.
All at next years prices!

Keep up with the times Sky, TVNZ, TV3/4 etc, or you will be left behind, and its all your own doing. Don't blame innovative ISP company's, or the consumer that wants what you can't deliver!

geek_mr_sausage, Apr 5, 12:16 am

You forgot to mention Netflix also offers everything in HD ( unlike skys crud )

geek_trade_menow, Apr 5, 12:44 am

At the moment Sky are broadcasting 22 channels in HD.

Thats nearly more channels than Freeview have all together, SD & the 3 HD.

Around 10 of those channels are sport, which netflix etc dont do.

geek_jeremy_74, Apr 5, 12:54 am

American Netflix people still had to pay for it.
Most of the other titles are free to USA/UK, sky simply wants to charge $50 a month to show old shows the rest of the world gets free.

geek_martincj, Apr 5, 2:10 am

I dont understand how that works really, Netflix is not the copyright holder either, its the movie and TV studios, etc who own the content for the different TV shows and films etc.
Actually its more of an issue with TV shows than movies themselves it seems. (although some banned films are now attracting the censors attention through netflix, but again the ISP is not to blame here as they can already be downloaded from torrents as it stands)
Anyway, whoever owns the copyright to the content still gets paid.
Only people who miss out are SKY who may own the broadcast rights to the stuff for NZ, but im not going to pay over $70 a month for a whole lot of crap (and repeats of it) to get a few select shows a month.

Hopefully SKY will loose more contracts to Netflix NZ when it comes time to renew them.

I have no remorse for SKY they have been ripping NZ off for too long, they have had their day as far as im concerned.

Sport is really the only thing most people i know use SKY for and even then, they have lost alot of sport contracts and they still screen ads on some games!

geek_nzoomed, Apr 5, 9:36 am

so you think sky pays nothing to the copyright holders for content that has been on free to air channels overseas?

geek_jeremy_74, Apr 5, 9:46 am

They lost the rights to the PGA tour and EPL which you can pay to stream for $20 a month for each. Add Netflix etc and another sport streaming service then your paying close to what you would pay for Sky.

geek_jeremy_74, Apr 5, 10:00 am

the one useful thing sky did was to bring all the content you generally needed together into one place.

Yes you can pay less, but Its actually going to cost more in future to access similar content because.

a. in sports they are outbidding each other with ridiculous sums of money for a single sport, the cost of which has to passed on, and
b. No one general content provider eg netflix, has a complete range of content. for the TV junkie you will need to sign up for more than one

geek_king1, Apr 5, 10:18 am

Thats the problem for me, with SKY i would be paying too much for a whole lot of content that i dont watch, i couldnt care less for sports, however i know people who only want the sports and none of the movies etc.

geek_nzoomed, Apr 5, 10:48 am

I'd think that applied to alot of people ( i was 1 of them ) when i gave my 30 day notice to cancel sky i was asked if there was any reason and i told them i was sick of the repeats and alot of the channels i didnt watch and i only had the basic package they then had the nerve to say that theres even less selection on freeview but they went quiet when i mentioned lightbox's 12 months free and netflix which so far is ok and i certainly dont miss sky's annoying ads

geek_trade_menow, Apr 5, 11:21 am

lol quite true.
I had a SKY person knock at our door around the time when freeview was introduced and they had the cheek to say that freeview is not really free, because you have to buy a freeview box!

What a joke! That reasoning is like saying TV is not free, because you have to buy a TV!

geek_nzoomed, Apr 5, 11:57 am

Meanwhile, in Europe:

"EU announces plans to banish geo-blocking, modernize copyright law"

geek_zak410, Apr 5, 1:36 pm

Did I hear right on TV just now? Apparently these 'rogue' ISPs are giving kiwis the means to access movies and tv shows for free which isn't quite the truth!

geek_paora-tm, Apr 5, 6:31 pm

you mean the waterd down diluted versions of crap they charge us here for after. was just in the newas that they waterd the content down compaired to the full usa versions.

geek_intrade, Apr 5, 6:42 pm

Ban the internet then, because we have always had access to torrent sites such as thepiratebay for example! lol

TOR and i2p should also be banned!

geek_nzoomed, Apr 5, 11:02 pm

The old media companies left out my republic which has global mode as well.

geek_mr-word, Apr 7, 10:18 pm

I guess the market is asking for content worthy of the monthly charge. They aren't providing that (partly because of all the red tape), so people are going elsewhere. They can squawk all they want (even if it's justified), but people in NZ are sick of paying the earth for sub-par services so they've found a way around it. It's a case of either cater for the market or lose entirely.

geek_puddleduck00, Apr 7, 11:13 pm

Move with the times Sky or lose customers - simple as that.
We live in a time where we can get what ever we want when we want.
I welcome Netflix with open arms, ditched Sky 10+ years ago paying all that money for crap.

geek_neoslowmo, Apr 7, 11:45 pm

I would counter that circumventing Geo restrictions is helping create a fair playing field for Kiwi consumers who are so restricted by our geographical isolation in other areas.
Like the video rental shops of last decade, Sky is a dinosaur that needs to adapt to survive in its changing environment. Crying to the courts about how new technology is destroying their business will not solve their problems.

There should be no geographical borders on the internet.

geek_oclaf, Apr 8, 8:23 am

Sky is a dinosaur, www provides all the content i would wish to watch if i was a sky subscriber. for free, simply put. sky has nothing i want.

geek_kwm30, Apr 8, 10:57 am

I think alot of things have been going on. some of it may even be conflict of interest stuff . I mean is it no coincidence that alot of taxpayer free to air tv is now crap. and that alot of archive stuff that should by rights be free to air is not free. Folk are starting to smell the coffee and if these players dont get competitive with the rest of the globe they sure as heck shouldnt be whinging about the folk that wont be extorted anymore. get competitive or be gone. I remember watching sport in the early startup days of competitve tv and it seemed to me the camera operators were wearing jackets from a public broadcast station. yet folk had to pay to watch the game. they couldnt even get that right. 'tells' give it all away.

geek_phalanax, Apr 9, 12:28 pm

I wonder how many people from other country's go to www.tvnz etc OnDmand, and watch the block, master chef nz, mk rules, the bachelor, xfactor nz, my first home, the block, shitland st, and all the other programes that our tv stations think are so awesome hahaha

geek_mr_sausage, Apr 9, 7:07 pm

This is why I have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever for TVNZ/Mediaworks. They chose to take the lazy approach by catering to the lowest common denominator and flooding their prime time schedules with this cheap crap (e.g. TV One with Masterchef Australia on SIX times a week, no less), so they should accept that people are going to give up on them and resort to other methods to watch something decent.

Instead of trying to make things more difficult for these people maybe they'd be better off taking a long hard look at why they drove them away in the first place.

geek_puddles11, Mar 7, 9:19 pm

Share this thread