Windows 10 - Works Perfectly

I have upgraded 20+ machines without a problem, just thought I'd let people know it can be done without too many issues. You just need to check your system specs first (hardware and software) before clicking update.

geek_loud_37, Aug 11, 5:34 pm

Very good. And it doesn't hurt to google your laptop model + Windows 10 problem (limit to previous 1 month only); that will give you some idea of what problem you might strike, and hint at mitigation options.

geek_r.g.nixon, Aug 11, 5:41 pm

How do you suggest people do that?

geek_vtecintegra, Aug 11, 5:54 pm

are these 20+ random machines or 20 the same model/configuration etc

geek_king1, Aug 11, 6:03 pm

The MS system check said my old laptop would work on W 10.

Did the install - video 'greyed' out, difficult to read what was on the screen, and the internal wifi adapter not found.

Good excuse to reformat the C: drive and do a clean Win 7 reinstall from the CD.

geek_tintop, Aug 11, 6:10 pm

The only problem I've noticed with the Win 10 download is, when watching a video either on FB or YouTube the picture is green or blacked out, stopping and starting the video again seems to get it going properly but it's annoying.

geek_croco1, Aug 11, 6:55 pm

Completely random, laptops, desktops and touch screen all in ones. From 5 year old gear to brand new.

geek_loud_37, Aug 11, 7:16 pm

Search your hardware here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/Home and check the software on the software developers website.

geek_loud_37, Aug 11, 7:19 pm

That is next to useless - it doesn't pick up most potential issues

geek_vtecintegra, Aug 11, 7:48 pm

Oh well, all my upgrades went well, so was just trying to say not all people are having issues, as seems to be the case on here.

geek_loud_37, Aug 11, 7:59 pm

all the ones ive done (approx 10ish) have also been fine, various laptops/desktops/upgrades from 7 and 8

geek_csador, Aug 11, 8:09 pm

Most issues are not hardware related, they are software compatibility, or perhaps hardware like peripherals USB hardware locks ,etc. You'd be a bit of a ignorant muppet to dive into upgrading a system that runs software that the developer hasn't specifically stated is win 10 compatible.

geek_black-heart, Aug 11, 8:17 pm

Generally because people will only come on here to get help/complain when things haven't gone to plan. I'm sure there are thousands more where things have gone fine, but you will never hear from those people.

geek_cube_guy, Aug 11, 8:40 pm

Daughter had a few issues with her W7 professional laptop compared to the others on her floor at Uni who are all running W8.1. Any potentials issues that could relate to her I sent a link for her to check. I think I would have heard by now if she was having issues.

geek_joanie04, Aug 11, 9:40 pm

downloaded win10 couple of days ago , everything was ok except it couldnt load the wifi card kept saying it was missing something ( annoying ) and trying to navigate around - argh . used the restore option to go back to win7 , now i get " lets download your windows 10 now " grrrr

geek_trade_menow, Aug 12, 1:55 am

I must have a windows curse on me then. Numerous problems.
1 it created its own need for a start up password, using a ten year old PW I had registered with windows for some distant purpose long since forgotten. 2 corrupted the communication to my HP printer. 3 Made existing Programs reduntant- helpful wife said 'you can get new aps from the store, some are free' -that explains that one. 4 I don't play many games on the PC but the two I bought fill the screen and are magnified x 20 with no means of resizing. 5 new Photo programs won't copy pic to other folders without some administrators permission - whoever he is. 6 Tried the new calendar ap- they even got that wrong Christmas day is the 24th December well may be in America. I could go on, but then you get the picture - Will be quicker and better for the blood pressure if I buy another PC with the old Win 7 system on it.

geek_mcarky, Aug 13, 9:53 am

mine went pretty well, I only lost the use of my touchpad for a few days but thats all sorted now and I am enjoying it so far

geek_camerong1, Aug 14, 10:08 am

Yep all good, quick and smooth, no problems from 8.1.

geek_shinedog, Aug 14, 11:03 am

I changed my motherboard, now its not activated and says my activationkey has been blocked. /should have kept 7

geek_black-heart, Aug 14, 12:21 pm

Phone Microsoft and explain why you had to change m/board.

geek_r.g.nixon, Aug 14, 12:27 pm

I phoned them, after googling how to get win 10 to bring up phone activation.

Entered the code, had to wait for a human. *click* disconnected.

geek_black-heart, Aug 14, 7:27 pm

I finally got an answer. "restore previous window, or buy a key. Theres no way to reactivate an upgraded install." if it decides to deactivate itself.

Quote marks are direct from MS technician.

geek_black-heart, Aug 14, 8:38 pm

People running an upgraded version of Windows 10 may need to buy a new copy of Windows 10 if they switch to a new machine or "significantly upgrade the device" - which Microsoft counts as replacing the motherboard.

Ian Moulster, Windows product manager, said: "My understanding is it's licensed to the device and not to you, so it's specific to the device and you wouldn't be able to use it elsewhere."

A post on answers.microsoft.com suggests that only those who have upgraded from OEM versions of Windows 7 and 8 will need to buy a new Windows 10 license after replacing a computer's motherboard. Those upgrading from a retail version of Windows 7 or 8, the post says, would be able to transfer their copy of Windows 10 to a new machine or PC with a new motherboard. http://is.gd/nsD7qo

geek_r.g.nixon, Aug 14, 8:46 pm

I'm not sure if a "Pro" version counts the same as OEM or Retail. Anyone?

geek_r.g.nixon, Aug 14, 8:47 pm

I don't think it matters if it's Home or Pro, still the same rules depending on whether it's Retail or OEM.

geek_stevexc, Aug 14, 8:57 pm

Retail is different. It can be transferred to a different computer.

For OEM (and I think, Pro):
If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty. http://is.gd/e1oeB2

geek_r.g.nixon, Aug 14, 9:03 pm

You can get a retail version of Pro which is transferable just like the Home version is.

Home / Pro = features
Retail / OEM = license

Except Windows 8 OEM which is transferable. Thankfully this is what I had when my mobo died and I was forced to upgrade :D
http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.aspx
7, 8.1 and 10 do not have this clause. Strange!

geek_stevexc, Aug 14, 9:11 pm

Thats not what the MS tech told me, he said any free upgrade will deactivate with significant hardware change (this could be a harddrive, according to websites I was reading). Sure you can reinstall a retail version of the previous OS, then upgrade it again, but as the upgrade process doesn't generate a unique windows 10 key, just ends in an activated state, you cannot reactivate windows 10 (if it deactivates), because you don't end up with a genuine, unique, activation key.

geek_black-heart, Aug 14, 10:48 pm

Problem on laptop. Upgraded yesterday. Opened OK last night. This morning, had to load a password, then screen flicked on and off several times. Eventually stabilised. But, on turning it on again, it would not stabilise.
But Windows icon not active and I cannot open the power off. Or restart. Will have to try and close manually.
Any advice, please?

geek_footplate1, Aug 15, 9:10 am

People having problems after upgrading to 10 deserve it. You have an entire year to upgrade so why rush into it? If you just show some patience & upgrade 6 months from now you'll be a lot better off.

geek_steve198, Aug 15, 9:29 am

My thoughts exactly. Let them sort out all the inevitable bugs first - and there will be many. My concern with all upgrades is that some of my software is getting on a bit and I hate having to go out and purchase brand new with every Windows upgrade.
Everything works fine today on my various Windows 7 & 8 machines, so no rush for me.

geek_socram, Aug 15, 10:10 am

The problems I've had aren't going away in 6 months.

geek_black-heart, Aug 15, 11:33 am

I agree, most of the problems i see are due to issues from upgrading, which i dont think is ideal, a clean install is always better and we had the same issues back in the days of upgrading windows 95 to windows 98.

geek_nzoomed, Aug 15, 12:10 pm

screw M$, Its pretty tempting to use the activation hack after hearing this.

Ive disabled the GWX update on alot of my customers machines anyway, so hopefully they dont have to worry about it.
But hey, the amount of windows 10 related jobs this month has been great for business!

geek_nzoomed, Feb 18, 10:08 am

Share this thread