Gaming Desktop essentails? :(

My computer has unfortunately died, hence wanting to get a new one with decent graphics for gaming- GTX 750
There is sooo much information, i dont know where to start,
Should i get a $600 new new 8gb RAM intel i.5 with 1g graphic,
But there is other stuff brand knew for 1139 etc
What does one do :(

geek_fastfreddy, Jul 7, 6:47 pm

It depends what type of games you want to play, and if you want to play them at the highest settings or not.

Generally 8GB of RAM and a Haswell or Broadwell Intel i5 are a good place to start. The video card makes the most difference though.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jul 7, 6:50 pm

are there any brands you reccomend staying away from? Asus mother boards?

geek_fastfreddy, Jul 7, 7:16 pm

Asus and Gigabyte motherboards are both very popular and widely regarded to be two of the top choices. But they both also have cheap models - a lot of the cheaper pre-made systems use cheaper boards with limited features.

You are best to go to a reputable store like Computer Lounge, give them your budget and they'll recommend the best system.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jul 7, 7:34 pm

thanks so much suicide monkey :)

geek_fastfreddy, Jul 7, 7:40 pm

you know a desktop computer is just a collection of components right? If you can figure out what part has gone wrong, maybe you can just replace/upgrade.

geek_schizoid, Jul 7, 8:17 pm

CPU is not very important for most games - even an i3 or a cheapish AMD will do fine.

GPU is much more important and you don't want to skimp too much here - on the Nvidia side a 960 is the lowest you should go, I'm not up with AMD but I think a 280 or up should be fine (iirc the new 380 is like a 280x)

Otherwise the power supply is important - you don't want to buy on wattage but rather quality of the unit which unfortunately involves a bit of research.

geek_vtecintegra, Jul 8, 8:18 am

Do you have a budget in mind OP?
also, do you have some of the parts already or are looking and at starting from new?

geek_slowenemy, Jul 8, 11:03 am

Wrong.
Unless you're plauying Minecraft or such.
It does matter if you want to play anything half decent without messing with the graphics settings ingame and turning stuff down.
I5 is OK, but don't go i3.
And remember the GPU is the single most important component in the machine.
If budget is an issue, then go budget on the case and other bits.
Not CPU, GPU or PSU.

geek_lythande1, Jul 8, 11:27 am

Share some benchmarks where a modern i3 is insufficient

geek_vtecintegra, Jul 8, 2:16 pm

vtec is right. Not a lot of games really take advantage of quad core CPUs. Have a look at some benchmarks. The majority of games you'll see only a few FPS difference between an i3 and an i5 (assuming all other hardware remains the same). There are some exceptions but not many.

Even the games that do take advantage of more cores don't show a massive improvement. GPU is much more important.

However this will change in the not too distant future I'm assuming, as developers really start to utilise moar cores.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jul 8, 3:05 pm

Most games that are top titles use mutliple cores, so while the vast majority of games on steam aren't demanding or make a difference, if you want to play battlefield 3,4 or most simulation type games, that are both graphically intense and deal with AI / ingame bots, there is some suffering to be had by CPU bottlenecks.

geek_black-heart, Jul 8, 3:34 pm

The benchmarks do the talking: http://techbuyersguru.com/haswellgaming.php

With most games, it makes no difference.

Battlefield is one of the few exceptions, but even so. the difference is less than 15FPS. A decent video card would make that difference meaningless.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jul 8, 3:37 pm

It would make more sense to benchmark the CPU load while gaming, to measure the CPU bottleneck I'd have thought? /maybe i'm crazy.

geek_black-heart, Jul 8, 4:33 pm

Why? Frame rates tell us all we need to know in this context, don't they?

geek_suicidemonkey, Jul 8, 4:39 pm

Anything you'd be running on a low end card like a 750TI isn't going to be bottlenecked by a dual core hyperthreaded CPU so long as its per core performance is okay.

geek_vtecintegra, Jul 8, 5:26 pm

Yep. My gaming machine is currently an overclocked Pentium g3258 (4.4GHz). Runs great with my GTX960 - I didn't notice any perform decrease coming from using the same video card with an i7 hexacore.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jul 8, 6:08 pm

Something to watch is some games refuse to run at all if they can't see at least four logical cores - for this reason alone it's worth getting an i3 instead of a Pentium branded CPU

geek_vtecintegra, Jul 8, 6:29 pm

Thanks everyone for you fantastic Help, my current destop has components that work fine, i think i might just need to up the Ram, and def invest in graphics card.
NOt sure about the CPU, i currently get blue screen crashes saying MEM dump, and the PC sometimes doesnt turn on, (when you push the oon button, it makes this Beeeeeeep sound, screen stays off and there are no speakers working, the beep comes from,. yeah well its weird.
? ;(
but then sometimes it randomly works?. . .
:/ crazy lol

geek_fastfreddy, Jul 8, 10:16 pm

Make sure the Case is red. and don't go cheap on the power supply.

geek_gibler, Jul 8, 10:23 pm

Randomly not working, look at reseating the RAM and CPU. There is usually a beeper on board that the system uses to call for help if there is a fatal error in the POST, before it can display an error message on screen. Like "Bad Ram", which can also cause Blue screens. if the connection goes bad after the system boots.

A dodgy PSU is another possibility.

As suggested, the graphics card is the most critical part. If you can get your current PC reliable a decent graphics card and maybe some more RAM may get you gaming for a couple of hundred $.

geek_ianab, Jul 8, 11:38 pm

do a mem test, HDD error test. reseat RAM, GPU. Dont bother reseating CPU.

let us know what parts you have so we can advise whats worth keeping, if anything.

geek_schizoid, Jul 9, 12:04 am

I'd start by replacing the PSU and seeing if that fixes the problem. If you're going to do a new build you'll need one anyway so you won't lose out.

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 9, 4:06 pm

Share this thread