Fiber BB test

206 Mbps up
22 Mbps down
On XP

Not too shabby aye?

geek_mrfxit, May 20, 6:36 pm

Not bad! Only on a slow fiber here. Orcon Ultra30 unlimited. Perfect for streaming etc. No lag, never any problems no matter how many devices going!

geek_family007, May 20, 6:53 pm

Ooops (msg done in the middle of cooking tea)

206 Mbps down
22 Mbps up
On XP

Not too shabby aye?

geek_mrfxit, May 20, 6:54 pm

Yep just had to upgrade our network switches & make sure all the cables were at least cat 5E.
ISP upgraded the router as part of the upgrade from std fiber to ultra fast

geek_mrfxit, May 20, 7:48 pm

yeah you def want to be running gigabit on your internal network

Im still on 30mbit fibre :( (for now until my contract with spark runs out and i can go somewhere better!)

geek_csador, May 21, 11:37 am

why is it only 22Mb up ?

geek_black-heart, May 21, 1:22 pm

How many domestic ppl upload heaps of stuff?

it's partly to stop domestic ppl from hosting websites.
If you're doing that then you should be on a business plan

geek_mrfxit, May 21, 2:01 pm

Just talking to a friend & her adsl is getting 2.1mbps down.

LOL Oooooowwwww ouch

geek_mrfxit, May 22, 7:21 pm

geek_pyro_sniper2002, May 23, 12:43 pm

It's a 200/20 plan.

geek_lugee, May 23, 1:31 pm

LOL cheat.
Blimin Gigitown speeds

geek_mrfxit, May 23, 3:12 pm

This is my current speed on Slingshot (sharing with two other computers on wifi) and it's VDSL. I have no idea what it means, can someone tell me if this result is decent or terrible? http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4377381258

geek_themillers1, May 23, 3:27 pm

Decent upload but download is only about 1/3rd of what you would be getting on the cheapest fibre plans.

geek_jimgammy, May 23, 3:36 pm

thats crap for VDSL - mine is average and I get 30 down / 10 up. You might as well be on adsl with that download speed

geek_king1, May 23, 4:10 pm

I've been struggling with extremely slow speeds on slingshot, it's becoming a bit of a joke. This is the fastest broadband plan they had available! I'm switching to vodafone in a few days so hopefully that'll be better. No fibre where we are in Christchurch yet though but will be getting that as soon as it's available.

geek_themillers1, May 23, 4:36 pm

Changing ISP's won't make anything any better. All DSL ISPs use the same last mile, and that's what is slow for you. It's entirely probably that this is the best you can do with your distance from the DSLAM.

It's also entirely possible the house install wasn't done correctly. You'd have to make sure Chorus installed the master filter and dedicated jack, and that you're not using any other dongle filters.

geek_lugee, Oct 20, 11:04 am

Share this thread