Google to change its name to Alphabet?! WTF!?

geek_nzoomed, Aug 12, 12:08 pm

I didn't believe it until I read it on the official Google blog

And I still don't believe it

geek_mazdasix, Aug 12, 12:28 pm

The holding company name is changing - the search engine stays as "Google".

geek_farwest, Aug 12, 12:31 pm

apparently ive read that they are going to split into 26 different companies, one being registered as a letter of the alphabet. I thought this was a joke too #2, but who knows. But yes your right, the search engine will stay as google, and hopefully the same goes for android services and other google products.

geek_nzoomed, Aug 12, 9:19 pm

geek_lostdude, Aug 12, 10:03 pm

Hrm yeah I'm slightly confused. From what I'm reading, it doesn't look like the name's of any of Google's main services will changed, it's just the name of the company. So Google Search and Google Mail stay the same, but the company will be Alphabet.

That's my guess. but 101% sure though.

geek_suicidemonkey, Aug 12, 10:33 pm

What's even more interesting is that the domain alphabet.com is registered to BMW, Germany.

The Germans have won.

geek_mikep, Aug 12, 11:55 pm

They are into all sorts of different tech, makes sense that they split the business up into different companies, make it easier to sell them off, for example their loon balloon isp division, self driving cars, etc.

geek_lucky.gadgets, Aug 13, 12:00 am

Yes and the trademark for the Alphabet name too.
I just saw on Stuff that BMW have told google to go find a new name as they are not selling.

geek_brapbrap8, Aug 13, 2:47 pm

"And different it is: even the domain for Alphabet, abc.xyz, is eccentric compared with ye olde .com and .net names."

From http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/news/article.cfm?c_id=466&objectid=11495553

geek_farwest, Aug 13, 2:50 pm

All they've done is create a parent/umbrella company to split all those smaller companies up. Not uncommon in big business

This guy explains it http://money.cnn.com/video/technology/2015/08/11/google-alphabet-explained.cnnmoney/

geek_lostdude, Feb 23, 5:14 am

Share this thread