Toshiba satellite laptops - opinions

please. :) have spent all day looking at laptops and these are looking promising just need some feedback from people in the know, and and model preference would be great. thanks

geek_spawnofsatan1, Apr 19, 6:20 pm

Depends on model.

They're Toshiba's low end line so are reasonably priced but don't expect a lot of durability.

geek_vtecintegra, Apr 19, 6:21 pm

I think Toshiba have slipped recently. They used to be the brand I recommended.

Their low-end line isn't great and their mid/high end stuff used to be good. But I was checking out a new model the other day ($1400ish, i7 processor) and it was extremely plastic/flimsy, just like their sub-$1000 models. Even HP does a better job at that price range.

But as with any brand, spend decent money and you'll usually get a good product.

geek_suicidemonkey, Apr 19, 6:33 pm

geek_spawnofsatan1, Apr 19, 6:42 pm

toshiba are good even the cheaper models ,i sell a lot and customers are very happy ,yes build quality is feeling a bit cheap lately.

geek_velenski, Apr 19, 6:42 pm

The new ones are flimsy but seem to have good electronics so most still last well if handled carefully.

geek_wayne416, Apr 19, 6:43 pm

I've had a Satellite A105 that I bought in 2005 that's still going strong. Never had an issue with it.

I've also got a Satellite Pro L500 for 5 years and that's still my every day laptop. fantastic.

geek_lordtopcat, Apr 19, 6:52 pm

One of those is a full sized laptop, the other is a tiny netbook.

You should really think about what it is you need out of the system as those tow fulfill very different roles.

geek_vtecintegra, Apr 19, 6:52 pm

im thinking the netbook then can be taken school, hubby is looking at the bigger one as it has a disk drive. hmmm

geek_spawnofsatan1, Apr 19, 7:23 pm

Not even sure about that anymore. A recent high-end model got recalled because of hardware issues, and that's not the first I've heard of recently.

geek_suicidemonkey, Apr 19, 8:43 pm

Yep but was recalled and fixed when they knew there was a problem unlike others who seem to hope the problem goes away. I would still rank them fairly high up the scale along with Asus but that's only my opinion.

geek_wayne416, Apr 19, 8:58 pm

thanks everyone i may have to make a trip to Harvey Norman and have a look at some

geek_spawnofsatan1, Feb 5, 11:03 pm

Share this thread