Windows 7, is Microsoft soon thinking of

not supporting this.

Noticed now a push for Windows 10 though a wee bit sceptical but realistic enough to know that W7 could soon be like XP and perhaps W8.1 soon afterwards and was wondering that once W10 has been around for over a year plus then Microsoft will start charging again with a newer W10.
That W7, W8.1 along with XP may not be supported.

Does anyone know these things or just assume it will happen.

geek_valentino, Jun 6, 4:18 pm

rather annoying isnt it - the not knowing.
for years i was content with xp was eventually pushed out when they stopped supporting it so went to win7 resisted the push to win 8 and 8.1 but if im pushed to win 10 think i'll just jump ship to linux instead

geek_trade_menow, Jun 6, 4:37 pm

Of course they'll stop supporting it at some point. They can't do each version forever. But XP lasted over a decade, I assume 7 will too.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 6, 5:19 pm

"Extended support" -- the period during which Microsoft continues to provide for free security updates for products -- doesn't end until January 14, 2020 for Windows 7 SP1.

geek_r.g.nixon, Jun 6, 5:19 pm

W10 is a make or break thing for Microsoft.

They need to get a grip on all the pirated copies of earlier win versions ( in China ) , they need something that corporates are happy with after the way they dug in over the retraining required for Win 8, and they need an OS that will run on all devices.

So -- Free Win 10 for all.

geek_tintop, Jun 6, 6:18 pm

Win 10 only free for the first year, and not for Enterprise editions.

geek_andrew.t, Jun 7, 12:27 pm

Good thing that infromation is avaliable from the MS Website: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-nz/windows/lifecycle

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Jun 7, 12:36 pm

Irrelevant as home users won't be running the Enterprise version anyway (at least not legitimately)

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 7, 12:38 pm

I put up a comment on the other thread, hopefully not outside your post length/attention span

geek_skin1235, Jun 7, 12:59 pm

just because the likes of xp isnt still supported, doesn't mean you cant use it.

and has anyone ever actually contacted microsoft for anything other than activation related stuff anyway?

geek_pcmaster, Jun 7, 1:49 pm

Yes but not for consumer stuff.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Jun 7, 4:03 pm

well why do the say Internet charges may apply its not free then

geek_harrislucinda, Jun 7, 4:15 pm

Because if you pay for your internet per MB it will cost you money to download. This does not mean the product itself isn't free (you may as well say it isn't free because you need to pay for electricity to use it)

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 7, 4:20 pm

It's not about that sort of support, it is about security.

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 7, 4:21 pm

lol vista is still supported, and 7 came out after that.

geek_black-heart, Jun 7, 5:31 pm

I have XP installed on one pc that is connected to a good older scanner that I can't get newer drivers for. It still works perfectly well and I've had no issues with XP being out of support so far.

geek_apollo11, Jun 8, 4:10 pm

Oh, noticed another thing, Windows Media player not included in W10,

I do use something else but quite often the Media Player is used and found it okay for this purpose but if not in W10 then what is going to take its place, Cheers.

Thank you everyone so far, great comments given so far.

geek_valentino, Jun 8, 4:47 pm

Media Center not Media Player.

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 8, 5:09 pm

geek_gilco2, Jun 8, 6:37 pm

Windows Media Player is annoying if you have all your mp3s tagged etc with cover art, and that damn player resizes all of the "folder.jpg" to a 200x200 pixels.

geek_chnman, Sep 7, 4:59 pm

Share this thread