Bluetooth

I'm looking at using Bluetooth connection instead of a Tstick on our travels. With the Tstick I found myself having to continually update, which became quite expensive.
Has anyone used Bluetooth and your opinion?

geek_momona, Jun 16, 10:31 am

bluetooth has nothing to do with tsticks or internet - it is for device to device communications ie phone to handsfree kit. Do you mean a wifi hotspot from a phone?

geek_king1, Jun 16, 10:47 am

Continually having to update what? Mobile internet is going to cost the same it doesn't matter if its a t stick or Bluetooth hotspot or WiFi hotspot. Makes no difference

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 16, 11:28 am

Yes I have used bluetooth to connect an ipad to the internet with an older phone. The phone had bluetooth but not wifi hotspot. Worked fine.

geek_duncb, Jun 16, 12:08 pm

What's updating? I think the best option would be to turn off automatic updates, then run them manually when not connected via tstick.

geek_project_nine, Jun 16, 2:11 pm

Op means to top up the tstick which can be quite exspensive as they dont seem to last long.
op is asking if there is an alternative
dont you people read the questions that are asked.
I am not that tech savvy but even I could understand what was being asked.

geek_newbie5, Jun 16, 3:46 pm

What was being asked made no sense.

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 16, 4:37 pm

Sorry but to me, update means update. Dunno how you derived update as meaning top-up but maybe you can be our resident translator to and for all laypeople far and wide. lol

geek_lostdude, Jun 16, 4:52 pm

What makes you think no-one read the original question? The issue is with updates using data when the tstick is being used. The simplest solution to that is to turn off the updates.

geek_project_nine, Jun 16, 5:20 pm

No, the OP is asking if they can use bluetooth instead of a t-stick. A t-stick is a Spark product - bluetooth is a connection type. The question needs to be clarified.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 16, 5:24 pm

one word, update, which is the phrase Spark uses to 'top up' your tstick, and some of you get into a flap.Obviously most have not used a tstick, and know very little about bluetooth.
mber2, thank goodness someones understands plain english.
Duncb, thanks.

geek_momona, Jun 17, 9:47 am

Plain English is NOT what you were using, nowhere on the spark topup page does it refer to a topup as an 'update', perhaps you heard it from one of Sparks ESOL helpdesk members.

thankfully someone here was able to interpret the vague reference so all is good. i can't see the bluetooth hotspot option being any cheaper since it uses the same cellular network

geek_king1, Jun 17, 10:10 am

Top up is not the same thing as "update", and nowhere do Spark say that.

A T-Stick is a USB modem that plugs into a computer and provides internet via Spark's 3G network.

Bluetooth is a type of wireless connection that allows anything from smartphones, MP3 players, speakers and other electronics to send data to each other. It has nothing to do with a T-Stick, or mobile internet.

The only exception is using a smartphone as a mobile hotspot via bluetooth - however this will cost the same as using a T-Stick (it uses the exact same mobile network your T-Stick does), hence why your post confused me.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 17, 10:19 am

bluetooth/t stick/wifi hotspots, still be using same data allowance.

Use their wifi hotspots, if you travelling around NZ.
https://www.spark.co.nz/digital-content/assets/wifi/03_explore_getting_connected.html

geek_rz_zone, 5 days, 9 hours

Share this thread