GRR updates wont install.

My laptop is running win7pro. Over the last few days I have been trying to install updates. I do not have auto update switched on, as I do not want updates for IE. I do not use IE, so don't want any updates for it. Each time I try, I get told there are around 65- 75 updates to be installed, which seems excessive to me. I attempt to update, but only one or two get installed. How can I get all updates installed? The other night, I tried, and the summary was that 56 were unnecessary. I'm getting rather sick of this.

geek_angelbabe6, Jun 7, 5:07 pm

i have the same annoying thing as you, except on the odd occasion, mine automatically install (why i dont know)

i dont use ie either, the .net framework and silverlight crap is also superfluous unless you run things that actually need it

geek_pcmaster, Jun 7, 5:14 pm

You should still keep IE up to date even if you do not use it as your browser - it provides the system web view and gets used in a bunch of places regardless of what other browsers you have installed.

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 7, 5:24 pm

I don't even have it installed. I don't want my laptop infested with the masses of viruses and malware that goes with it thankyou.

geek_angelbabe6, Jun 7, 5:36 pm

you still cant actually fully remove IE, the remove option only deletes the shortcuts, you should still be able to run it by typing iexplore in the search/run bar
IE is one thing i do keep updated even though i dont use it

geek_pcmaster, Jun 7, 5:48 pm

Often times updates will have prerequisite updates that need to be installed first. you will never get them all installed in one hit - it will require multiple update sessions.

FWIW Internet explorer is no more prone to junk than any other browser. Chrome especially seems to pick up a lot of crap.

geek_king1, Jun 7, 6:43 pm

For example, if you have CCleaner and Skype, run the "Cleaner" part without Skype running, then start up Skype, then close Skype. Now run CCleaner again. What do you see? "Internet Explorer - Temporary Internet Files". And I hardly ever use IE, preferring Firefox. But any Windows Updates for IE still get done.

geek_chnman, Jun 7, 7:29 pm

Do an error test on your HDD, it may be trying to install to a bad sector.

geek_schizoid, Jun 7, 10:56 pm

IE doesn't have those, stupid browsing habits get you those, completely regardless of which browser you are using.

geek_black-heart, Jun 7, 11:36 pm

Often when I look for the cause of computers being slow and unresponsive I find that they're often trying to download an antivirus update as soon as they're turned on, at the same time as some Microsoft updates that continually fail. Restart the computer and all of the downloads start again.

Nobody really wants to turn on their computer and then wait half an hour for all of the downloads to finish before they can use it without being frustrated by the slow performance. Look at the update history and fix the ones that fail, or disable those updates.

geek_gyrogearloose, Jun 8, 9:47 am

geek_hakatere1, Sep 2, 10:25 pm

Share this thread