Can I use my old broadband modem on fiber?

When I had fiber installed the installer said it wouldn't work with fiber but I can't see why not.
The modem they supplied has poor wireless range.

geek_bit, Jun 25, 5:57 pm

No you can't

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 25, 6:04 pm

Depends on what model the old router is. Some can be used as a on access point only.

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 25, 6:21 pm

No old ISP supplied modem will interface with fiber

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 25, 6:29 pm

They didn't say it was supplied by their ISP.

Anyway it doesn't need to interface with the fibre - if you can set it up as an access point you can hang it off the supplied router (the one with the poor wifi)

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 25, 6:36 pm

If it can act as a router and supports VLAN tagging then yes, but generally when you sign with fibre the ISP will give you a free router/AP which is pre-configured and no mucking around with settings.

geek_kieran211, Jun 25, 7:00 pm

OK thanks guys. It wasn't isp supplied but it sounds like I'd have to use it AND the router supplied with the fiber install - two power points.

geek_bit, Jun 25, 7:21 pm

The fibre install supplies an Optical Network Termination device - powered - and only because these don't include a wireless router then you add a second device. Is the vendor not supplying a new second device? I would expect them to, in return for a 12 month contract with an early termination clause.

geek_gyrogearloose, Jun 25, 7:38 pm

Yes but the signal is weak.

geek_bit, Jun 25, 7:56 pm

If your existing modem/router has a WAN port, then it'll work.

geek_lostdude, Jun 25, 8:12 pm

Not all routers with a WAN port support VLAN tagging.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Jun 25, 10:08 pm

I had VDSL with Wireless Nation (Innbox V-50U) and since changed to My Republic with an Asus modem/router. The Innbox V-50U has an input socket for UFF. (sitting unused.)

geek_fishb8, Jul 23, 3:21 am

Share this thread