Apple MacBook Pro 17" 2009

I have upgraded to Yosemite and now find the computer works very slowly. It's a very good computer and the 17" screen is good for home use.
I have 4gb of Ram. By upgrading to 8gb, would that help the speed improve. I also run windows XP through Parallels.

geek_malinkii, Apr 26, 9:30 pm

Not unless you're using applications that require more RAM. OS X by itself runs fine on 4GB. If you did an upgrade, I'd recommend doing a full factory reset.

geek_suicidemonkey, Apr 26, 10:37 pm

Thanks for the advice.

geek_malinkii, Apr 26, 11:49 pm

Suicidemonkey.
I have decided to upgrade and put an SSD in as well. Would you know of a reliable company in Tauranga that could do this?

geek_malinkii, Apr 28, 11:47 am

You need to be careful picking an SSD for a Mac - because you can't rely on TRIM running you need a model that will work okay without

geek_vtecintegra, Apr 28, 12:15 pm

You might also find it beneficial to do a clean install of Yosemite, rather than an upgrade, particularly if you've done several upgrades over the years.

But an SSD installation would transform your computer like nothing else will. Research appropriate SSD drives first for their suitability, and do it.

Edit: 4Gb RAM will quickly be eaten up by your Parallels Windows installation. How much memory did you give it?

geek_tillsbury, Apr 29, 6:06 pm

While not supported by Apple, there are 3rd party tools to enable TRIM in OSX.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Apr 30, 12:52 pm

Sure but you'll lose TRIM after any system update so its more trouble than its worth. Best just to get a drive that will work okay without.

geek_vtecintegra, Apr 30, 1:33 pm

Do you mean major OSX updates? I can't recall the TRIM function being re-disabled on point releases when I was doing this.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Apr 30, 4:58 pm

Not sure on the memory for windows but total gb is 320 and is still two thirds available. I only use windows to run MYOB Cashbook. It was cheaper than buying MYOB for MAC.

I like the 17" MBP but wondering if it is cost effective to upgrade or buy new.

geek_malinkii, Dec 26, 9:53 am

Share this thread