Book writing software?

Any recommendations. I'm helping put a historical book together so it will include quite a few photographs. Anyone with any recommendations?

geek_devine-spark, Jun 17, 8:39 am

geek_r.g.nixon, Jun 17, 10:59 am

Umm, MS Word? If you don't have Office then as above

geek_lostdude, Jun 17, 5:57 pm

Libreoffice if you want a capable free alternative option to msoffice

geek_gsimpson, Jun 17, 6:27 pm

I got the impression Scribus development has stopped?

geek_gsimpson, Jun 17, 6:30 pm

Pass. Is there something better, for free or cheap?
As long as there are no major bugs, it will still work. I still use a program from 2004.

geek_r.g.nixon, Jun 17, 7:07 pm

It has probably got to the point where Libreoffice and contemporaries have over taken its capabilities.

geek_gsimpson, Jun 17, 7:35 pm

Anyone know about InDesign? Has been recommended.

geek_devine-spark, Jun 18, 12:44 am

If it was me I'd be using some derivative of TeX - if you can put in the time to learn it would recommend that with something like the memoir package for pre-done book formats.

geek_kieran211, Jun 18, 11:42 am

Thank you.

geek_devine-spark, Jun 18, 12:32 pm

http://www.spacejock.com/yWriter5.html

yWriter helps you lay out the book in terms of scenes, etc.
Helps you get an uncluttered view of your book as you progress.
It's a freebie, so you have nothing to loose by trying it.

geek_gettinggrey, Jun 18, 3:03 pm

That is certainly the best app for page layout. Or at least the industry standard. You can subscribe to Adobe's Creative Cloud while you use it. Starting with a 30 day trial.

adobe.com

It's not a trivial task to get it right though.

For writing it, any word processor, though I quite liked Scrivener when I used it. It's a paid app though.

geek_-mung-, Jun 18, 6:24 pm

I write fiction and use Scrivener. If you're writing text and in chapters it's a great piece of software to organise everything. It is a writing tool rather than a formatting tool however.

I use InDesign for formatting paperbacks and it would be great for books with photos. You can see the layout as it would be printed. I use small images in my paperbacks as scene separators but adding a full page graphic would be just as easy. You can download a 30 day trial to give it a test drive. :)

geek_wendy2, Jun 19, 12:01 pm

*like* :)

geek_-mung-, Aug 10, 5:10 am

Share this thread