Which cable do I need to make my monitor HD?

themillers1, Mar 25, 4:05am
It's a new gaming monitor but it only has a VGA input and an HDMI input. Itunes won't let me download HD movies because it's currently connected with a VGA cable. I read somewhere while doing research about it that if I connect using an HDMI connection I won't be able to get audio. If I get a DVI-D cable and get an adapter for the VGA input will I still get HD on the monitor?

mazdasix, Mar 25, 4:06am
All of those cables support HD, including VGA. The cable isn't the issue.
Make sure your screen resolution is set correctly.

Also are you sure your monitor is HD? HD is 1920x1080. I've never heard of an HD monitor without DVI input.

vtecintegra, Mar 25, 4:15am
Nope

The problem is the VGA input doesn't support HDCP which is a requirement for HD Movies off iTunes.

Use the HDMI port - it should still let you output audio to the speakers normally.

mazdasix, Mar 25, 4:18am
Well that's stupid. VGA supports 1080p perfectly well. Apple restricting users for no reason as always.

vtecintegra, Mar 25, 4:23am
Stupid or not copy protection is just a fact of life.

Leaving copy protection to the side it's worth connecting via a digital input anyway where possible, especially with modern PCs where VGA is an afterthought at best.

themillers1, Mar 25, 4:55am
Ah okay thanks.

pyro_sniper2002, Apr 17, 9:25am
It will be restrictions as per their contracts with the studios I would think. DRM is not exactly uncommon. We have dual screens at work, PC's have an DisplayPort and VGA output, the DisplayPort screens always look noticeably sharper.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)