SD cards for cameras

I went in to HN the other day just to get a small as possible SD card for trademe pics. They did not have any thing under 16 gig. I was planning to spend no more than $20.
Anyway the assistant went on to tell me the quality of the card had as much to do with the picture quality as the camera and that I should get this fancy panasonic card that wasnt affected by pulse and xrays.
I said thanks but no thanks so she reduced the price by nearly half so I got it.
How say you all about the quality of the card affecting quality of pics?

geek_flopsie, Jun 7, 9:49 am

That was a complete lie.

geek_r.g.nixon, Jun 7, 10:04 am

Yes - there are times that I agree with RG :)

Which Hardly Normal did you go to? I need a half price SD card too!

geek_tintop, Jun 7, 10:16 am

The type of card is more to do with how fast the image is written/saved to the card. Not the quality, if you try to "snap" too fast then perhaps you wont get the image saved

geek_sqidlie, Jun 7, 10:18 am

The only time you need the faster cards is for video, or cameras that can take multiple shots per second.

geek_r.g.nixon, Jun 7, 10:25 am

Pulse and X-rays? Wow.

That HN rep needs a slap.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 7, 10:53 am

slap? more like a raise he/she got the sale .

geek_sakkara, Jun 7, 11:13 am

By blatantly lying to the customer

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 7, 11:17 am

I did wonder but since she reduced it from $129 down to $69 I took it, I was in too much of a hurry to go to DS's Quality of the pics depends on the optics of the camera and the skill of the photographer eh.I must say if you ask for discount in there at HN you usually get it. You're a mug if you don't.

geek_flopsie, Jun 7, 11:19 am

32 gig HS SD class 10, currently about $10 NZD on Ebay

If its not the size or quality they say it is then ya get ya money back

geek_sqidlie, Jun 7, 11:21 am

That price for a 16GB card is still ridiculous.

For next time, this is all you need:
http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=MEMSDK2218&name=SanDisk-Ultra-Series-SDHC-16GB-up-tp-40MBs-SD-Card

Would NOT trust Ebay or Trademe with buying SD cards - too many fakes. Stick to a reputable retailer but stay away from the big chain stores.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 7, 11:23 am

Just looked at receipt $60 not 69 It reads at 90 mbs and writes at 45 mbs. Panasonic

geek_flopsie, Jun 7, 11:29 am

Yep it's a good card but just overkill for what you need it for. You know for next time :)

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 7, 11:32 am

For pics you are better off with smaller cards really. Far easier to keep tabs on what's where. Unless of course you have camera set on RAW

geek_flopsie, Sep 10, 11:00 pm

Share this thread